Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Photography Challenged Day

American Idol is airing soon, but I need to record this day quickly and hope to see most of it. After a restful sleep last night, I felt invigorated enough to head outside twice for a walk along the trail at work. It was strangely quiet but I took advantage of a few opportunities that produced nothing. There might be a pine cone somewhere in this photo but I certainly lost the bird.

On the drive home from work I noticed an absolutely gorgeous view of a hawk on an electric line by the road. The sun cast a golden glow on this bird and it would have been a fantastic photo. With traffic behind me and no shoulder on the road to make a quick pull-over, I cringed at the loss.


After I got home and viewed the back yard, I realized that fat-ass squirrel cleaned my feeder today…again. I’ll be laying out more cash for a baffle this weekend! Cha-ching! He's eating me out of house and home.


Here’s a Chickadee belly.



With little sunlight left, I carried my camera to the front porch and found the back end of a bluebird in my neighbor’s Japanese maple. This was after I saw two bluebirds at my own feeder and lost those shots, too.

Good news is that I noticed a little pecking at the suet feeder, FINALLY!

How about a faceless junco?

At least I could photograph the weather forecast for Charlotte. Isn’t it ridiculous to do this? I feel like a real nut. IF we have snow tomorrow, I’ll be ready with my camera but I certainly dread ICE.

Michael came home tonight from a one night stay in Virginia and brought me two little gifts. The Yankee candle, "Greenhouse", smells heavenly and I love the little glass birdie paperweight most of all. This is a gift from a man who claims that birds are only good for crapping on your head. Oh, isn’t he so tough! I’m touched.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary,

I love the little glass birdie! Perfect. Also, you are not the only one out there photographing your television, or your weather forecast. I've done that, too!

Anonymous said...

Greenhouse? Is that a new fragrance? I usually like the smell of anything green, so I will have to check it out.
Stay steady on your feet, if it does snow in NC.
Here's a chuckle--my word verification letters--DUUIT=do it!

Anonymous said...

Blogger is being so BAD tonight!
I laughed about your faceless junco, chickadee belly and bluebird butt! That's the great thing about digital cameras- I'd cry if I paid for film developing on on the dud pictures I've taken!
Good luck with the baffle. My squirrels are so clever, they've gotten around most all of our baffles.
Michael is sweet to bring home two gifts that he knew you'd like.

Anonymous said...

Awww, how nice to get a surprise gift like that. Sounds like he's a keeper.

Anonymous said...

The secret's out, Michael. You can't fool us anymore.
Greenhouse??? I haven't seen that one yet. My favorite Yankee Candle scent is Midsummers Night. Reminds me of men's cologne.

I love your bird-less shot. How many of THOSE have we all taken?
Don't feel bad about taking pictures of your TV. I was taking pictures of PICTURES tonight.

Anonymous said...

I've had photos like your first one - the bewd is supposed to be there and when I download - no bewd!
Oh yeah, I saw hawks all over the place when I'm in traffic. Never will one sit and pose for me so far. I'm waiting!
I love your bewd photos, and glad someone is eating the suet finally!
Here's hoping you get *no* ice with your snow.
Greenhouse - I *love* the smell of a greenhouse - what they don't come up with for candle scents, huh? And the bewd is very nice too!
I was mad at birds for a while because one pooped into my eye the second I walked into their area at the zoo once. I was with two other people and it had to choose me to poop on? But now I'm over it. Just as long as they don't poop on me again.

Anonymous said...

Love the candle and bird paperweight too! What lovely gifts.

Oh, and the snow/ice is on it's way to you. It hit here overnight, and all schools are closed. Beautiful sight outside though.

amarkonmywall said...

Thanks for the hawk photo. I love it!
For a brief moment I thought you wer calling the weatherman a faceless junco. Does sometimes seem like a lot of junco science.

Greenhouse? Someone has actualy bottled that fragrance. This I must try. And try as I might blogger is acting up for me today- I'm having trouble getting to familiar places.
Must be all that snow.

(When my mother was alive I would ask, "Did you get my e-mail?" and she would answer vaguely, "Hmmm I don't think so but it probably takes longer because you live so far away." This from a woman who could name every supreme court judge and their entire voting history...

Mary said...

Hi All, "Greenhouse" must be a new scent by Yankee candles. I've never seen it before. It's a floral/outdoorsy mix. Very nice.