Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sleep walking


My eyes are bloodshot and I’m overloaded at work. Rest is so important to good health and mind and I’ve been neglecting my body’s cry for a good nights sleep lately. There was no walk today, no birds, and no story to tell because I’m too cold and lack the brain power and energy. That’s what happens when a body is tired.


After work, I bundled up and went outside to top the pond a few inches and checked the skimmer. I was shocked to see a frog peering up at me… The slippery thing tried to get away but I grabbed it and threw it gently into the deep end. Kermit did the breaststroke back to me, looking shocked and alarmed, as if to say, “Hey, what did ya do that for?” It’s common to rescue frogs from the skimmer in the warm months and something I did quite often. But it’s January!

Tonight I'm washing two loads of laundry and I can’t understand why men and children insist on throwing clothes into the hamper inside-out. Everything I wash for Michael is inside-out…socks, shirts, sweaters, jeans, and trousers. I remember when Gina was a kid, I’d pick up sweatpants from her bedroom floor, complete with panties inside and socks hanging from the bottom of the pant legs. This all takes time and I'm irritated with it.

Chloe is taking a wonder drug. After only one dose of a pain relieving anti-inflammatory drug, she was zippy this morning. Last night, I slept with her on the sofa since she was diagnosed at the vet yesterday with a strained cruciate ligament that caused her to walk three-legged and stumble. It will be a real challenge for me tonight me to keep her from running or jumping but I’ll be sure to entertain her in other ways. What a relief!


American Idol airs tonight and I’ll be ready to cuddle on the sofa for an hour of entertainment from Birmingham, Alabama! Soon after that, I’ll be snoozing in my own bed, under a nearly full moon. Ahhhh...

Tomorrow will be a better day if I can help it.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mary!!

Anonymous said...

I always could use some sleep! Hey love that frog picture, isn't it hard to believe it's January? Although, it is finally winter here!

Anonymous said...

Oh Mary! I saw the same moon on my way out to pick up my vehicle! I soooo wanted to grab the camera but the courtesy shuttle man was waiting for me. I didn't think he would understand. Hee hee!
So sorry you're tired - I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight!
I would be so tempted to tell them to turn their clothes right side out or else you're not washing them. Somehow I think that would backfire on you though because then the laundry would pile up high. But then who wants to be someone's clothes slave. . .
Kermie! Cool photo of him!

Mary said...

After I click on "Publish", I always find typos and grammatical bloopers but I'm too damned tired to care :0) My next test is to get the word verification right on the first try.

Anonymous said...

Get your rest,Mary! I can't imagine that being on the sofa with your dog would let you have a good sleep. Yes, the laundry...my hubby puts his wet, sweaty shirts from hockey, 3 layers stuck together and inside out into the wash. I have given up asking him to separate them. He does have other redeeming qualities though.

Anonymous said...

I swear Mary I can never get the word verification right - ever - on the first try. I don't know what I do wrong.
Can't you go back and edit your posts if you want to?

LauraHinNJ said...

Darn frogs always scare the crap out of me in that skimmer!

Have a good rest - it'll be easier in the morning.

Mary said...

Pam - I can edit my posts and I do that frequently. Tonight I just didn't care...LOL Now I have to do the word verification again. HA!

Mary said...

Laura said "Crap"? Gotta love her.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what is funnier...your posts or your comments to your commentors.

I solved my own Inside-Out issue here, sort of.
If it goes into the hamper inside out, it gets folded and put away inside out. I let THEM do the work.
Sleep long and peaceful, dear Mary.

Anonymous said...

I hope you rest well tonight. I am kind of running on empty myself, but not because I am taking care of an ailing pup like you. You deserve a medal for the care you give dear sweet Chloe.

I love the frog and moon pictures.

I also think that the word verification is evil. Wish me luck on my third attempt. :|

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a wonderfully restorative night's sleep!

Anonymous said...

Hope Chloe is on the mend by now!

Love that moon shot...and the frog--way cool!

Anonymous said...

Sleep = good. I was up too late and off to early with too little caffeine today so I totally get it. I'm tired today too.

I wanted to take a nap this afternoon but couldn't -- grocery shopping seemed more important.

Your moon pic is lovely -- I *want* to take a moon pic sometime. I haven't been taking enough pictures of ANYTHING lately. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Frogs in winter? And Laura at Somewhere in NJ has an oriole at her feeders? How weird is that?

Hope you have a good night's rest. Tomorrow's always better (well c'mon, you get another chance at everything!)

Anonymous said...

Rest up Mary- There's another Amircal Idol on tonight! :)

lcovuguv?!?
yzyhbe!?!

Anonymous said...

Lately I was walking while sleeping, but then I've bought pottery barn sofa and my sleep is deep and strong! I don't walk any more...