Sunday, January 14, 2007

A Musical Day

Lawn mowers were humming and we all wiped the sweat from our brow. I think I have sunburned arms. A glorious day in sunny NC but it's thirty degrees above the norm! What a day to look forward to cleaning the inside of the house! I raised the windows but that wasn’t enough.
Vacuuming and cleaning bathrooms was my pitiful destiny today. I needed help.

Michael was away for most of the day playing golf in south Charlotte so I had the house to myself, along with my little black and white girlfriends and.....Taylor Hicks. The new Taylor Hicks CD was a gift from Billy on Christmas day. When I listened to it the first time, it didn’t rouse anything within me and I was very disappointed, missing the swooning and the heart a flutter part. Maybe it didn’t move me the first time I listened to it was because I was on my way to work and feeling annoyed and sleepy. Yes, that’s it – I was cranky.

Is he just too irresistible? If I were twenty years younger I’d hunt him down and there’s no tellin’ what might happen. I would love to dance with this Soul Man. In August, I saw him live in Charlotte and when I thought I’d be dancing in the crowd, I just sat there, motionless, in total awe. Whew.

What did I do to restrain myself from walking outside today instead of cleaning toilets? Slipped that CD in the Bose and raised the volume to a very high number (after all, I was a budding adolescent in mid-sixties and I like loud). While cleaning the super glue-type dog snot/saliva from Mr. Biggins on the front window, I started to gyrate a little. Gina, NO, I do not dance like Seinfeld's Elaine. I have the moves. Watch me move to Outkast.

By the time I finished washing the back door to free it of more dog snot, I parked the Windex and paper towels on the kitchen table while listening to Taylor’s “The Deal”, threw my hands up in the air, swiveled my hips with my best moves and footwork, snapped fingers, grabbed the frig handle for a little jitterbug action and danced with the googly-eyed Bostons, tongues wagging and smiling ear to ear. Treat yourself to Taylor! If you love soul and love to dance as much as I do, this is the ticket.





Another newcomer arrived at the feeder today! A female Cowbird, and a very brave one. I hope my ID is correct...








Bella can't get enough sun and fun with her hula-hoop. She never stops. As I am writing this, though, she's snoring louder than an eighty year old man with sleep apnea.











I'm joyful today and I do love my camera.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Taylor Hicks is a HOTTIE!! I'm on his website now and it plays his songs for you - excellent! I can see why you stuck the CD in the Bose and cranked it! That is *the* only way to clean house is with loud music! I can see why you were dancing around your house. So what's a little age difference Mary, hee hee! Phew!
Congrats on another new lifer!
I love your dog photos! Bella looks soo happy.
Beautiful flower - thank you for that present of beautiful color in my finally cold state.
P.S. I have a Bose, too and I use it in my bedroom and keep the remote on my bed next to my pillows so I can turn it off when the radio wakes me in the morning. Last night in the middle of the night somehow I made that thing *fly* across the room. So I was up in the middle of the night looking for this little remote control. It ended up being underneath my bed somehow. Go figure!

Julie Zickefoose said...

When Taylor Hicks walked across that long wooden floor playing his harmonica, I fell HARD. I loved his audition; he was my top pick from that moment on. Gray hair, whatever--that boy's got the goods. He's got soul.
I'm with ya, Soul Sista.
We are such pop culture sluts.

Mary said...

Pam, I'm glad you found that remote - it's so small and fragile looking, isn't it? I held my breath once while Chloe ran around the house with it between her teeth. Hearing Taylor's "The Deal", I lost it. HOT HOT HOT! Twenty years between us is more than a "few years", my dear :o)

Julie, like you, I knew from his first audition that he was my man and it was great to watch him evolve from a slightly shy guy into a gray-haired hottie for us Soul Sista Sluts! Woo Hoo!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you gals on the Taylor Hicks bandwagon! HOTTIE!! AND a voice that can melt steele! I'd heard that his new CD was good, now I'll just have to buy it and play it on MY BOSE!!!

Mary said...

Lynne, when you get it, crank it up! "The Deal" is my personal favorite.

Anonymous said...

Playing him on my Bose right now - thanks to you Mary! :D I didn't realize he was 20 years younger - oh well - at least he's great to listen to!

Mary said...

Pam - I think he's 29 or 30. More than 20 years MY junior...and unattached - GUFFAW!

LauraHinNJ said...

Would love to join the Taylor Hicks bandwagon, but I'm clueless. I know about cleaning dog snot off windows though!

Sounds like you made the best of cleaning day.

Anonymous said...

Taylor Hicks?? Cutting grass?! I must be from a different planet!

Anonymous said...

Wow, he is young - the gray hair fooled me, but I grayed early too, so I should have known better.
Yes, that Bose remote control is so teeny. Oh boy, I bet you did hold your breath while Chloe had it in her mouth - glad it still worked afterwards! I have one that needs a battery change - I have yet to figure out how to get into the thing and then figure out what battery it needs.

Susan Gets Native said...

All you gals need to be hosed off!

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd been a fly on the wall to witness such unbridled joy! I'll have to check out his new CD too. I liked him too because he was not afraid to just be himself during the entire competition. Speaking of which, the new season starts tomorrow night! Yahooo!

Anonymous said...

I lose that Bose remote at least once a week. It's about the size of a speck!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm Taylor Hicks clueless too, but I'll check out the site. Loved the look on Bella's face in the hula hoop picture!

Anonymous said...

What a fun day! Cleaning is my future today too. I think finding some musical inspiration is probably a good plan for me too. I usually clean house to disco! :)

Greg and I were rooting for Taylor from the beginning too. What talent!

Jess Riley said...

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't heard Mr. Hicks. With such ringing endorsements, I shall now! :-)

And is Bella beautiful or what?!?!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a clue who Taylor Hicks is, does that make me old? I usually just turn the XM radio on and listen to whatever is on the contemporary channel. To my knowledge, he's not been on it yet.

Just wanted to say, love the pictures and I'm uber jealous of your weather!

How fitting, my word verification was icyfyt (icyfight) Ack!

Mary said...

Laurie, Taylor Hicks was the American Idol winner last spring. His CD was just released in December. The new season of American Idol airs tomorrow night! Our weather will get icey in time. It's late in coming.