Thursday, June 14, 2007

What Helps Me to See The Light

100_5167


When I'm running around like my hair’s on fire and worrying that I might be late for something, I may begin to think dark thoughts. If I slow down a little, breathe, open my mind, reserve some time to do what I’m doing now, and read good things, I usually see the light. My family and friends, a life bird, nature, kisses from my dogs, and my blogging community calms me and I adore them for it.

A friend and former cubicle neighbor in Delaware sent an e-mail forward to me yesterday. I might have read it before but today I appreciated it once again.

I always enjoyed watching “60 Minutes”. If I couldn’t catch the whole show, I made a point to stop and listen to my favorite curmudgeon, Andy Rooney.

He said,

I've learned.... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.

I've learned.... That when you're in love, it shows.

I've learned.... That just one person saying to me, "You've made my day!" makes my day.

I've learned.... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being right.

I've learned.... That you should never say no to a gift from a child.

I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way.

I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.

I've learned.... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand.

I've learned.... That simple walks with my father around the block on summer nights when I was a child did wonders for me as an adult.

I've learned.... That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

I've learned.... That we should be glad God doesn't give us everything we ask for.

I've learned.... That money doesn't buy class.

I've learned.... That it's those small daily happenings that make life so spectacular.

I've learned... That under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.

I've learned.... That to ignore the facts does not change the facts.

I've learned.... That when you plan to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.

I've learned.... That love, not time, heals all wounds.

I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.

I've learned.... That everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.

I've learned.... That no one is perfect until you fall in love with them.

I've learned.... That life is tough, but I'm tougher.

I've learned.... That opportunities are never lost; someone will take the ones you miss.

I've learned.... That when you harbor bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

I've learned.... That I wish I could have told my Mom that I love her one more time before she passed away.

I've learned.... That one should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them.

I've learned.... That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

I've learned.... That I can't choose how I feel, but I can choose what I do about it.

I've learned.... That when your newborn grandchild holds your little finger in its little fist, that you're hooked for life.

I've learned.... That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.

I've learned.... That the less time I have to work with, the more things I get done.


100_5160



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This reminds me of the type of photo that Susan Gets Native would post. I'm sane and Susan is, too. I like bubbles and I love my camera, that’s all.

100_5196

You need to allow your Palmolive dish liquid get all gunked up to see a bubble. Try it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Bella

100_5164
Arrrrgh. I feel so bloated. It m-m-must be the heat.

More captions are welcome!

23 comments:

possumlady said...

Definitely words to live by. After a day when someone in my office belittled another person with about 10 people watching. Then, at an impromptu birthday party for someone, the same person made a crack about the cake, the saying "it's more important to be kind than it is to be right" lept out at me. Although I wasn't exactly kind after this person's cake comment when I said to her "my you're awfully mean today, I don't think we should invite you to play anymore". Sometimes I just can't hold my tongue. Thanks for these reminders.

Mary said...

Possumlady, what an ogre that person was. But we can't ignore that :o)

LauraHinNJ said...

Thanks for the smile, Mary and the reminder of why I liked Andy Rooney so much.

NatureWoman said...

I love this post Mary. I had forgotten why I liked Andy Rooney - thanks for the reminder. And that is like a Susan Gets Native photo!

Susie said...

Andy is full of such down to earth wisdom. These were wonderful to read.
The cloud pictures are stunning..
xo

sonia a. mascaro said...

Hi Mary, I just dropping by here to ask if you saw my sidebar with a link to your post.

I will come back soon to reading this post. See you soon!

RuthieJ said...

Thanks for a great post, Mary. Those cloud pictures are beautiful and the words along with it are beautiful too. I'll have to print those out and hang them by my desk at work (partly to remind me, but also in hopes that others might read it and get a message too!) I'm always on the lookout for one of those bumper stickers that says "Mean People Suck"

sonia a. mascaro said...

Hi Mary, me again! Thanks for your lovely words about my husband photos! See you tomorrow!

KGMom said...

That photo of Bella is a hoot--she really does look like "arrrggghhhh" is what she would be saying.

Beth said...

I really like the soap bubble.

I really like the Andy Rooney piece. I agree with everything he says.

Does that mean I'm getting old?

:-)

dmmgmfm said...

Great photos, Mary, as always. Thanks for sharing them. You always brighten my day.

Hugs,
Laurie

Susan Gets Native said...

Why are you taking pictures of my Palmolive??????
My Dad loved to watch Andy Rooney...I can't help but think of him when I read those words.

Caption:
Bella: "I heard from Ch-ch-ch-et Baker that those Chicken Strips from Trader Joe's would cause gas, but MY G-G-GOODNESS!"

Alyssa said...

I enjoyed all the words of wisdom. It would be good to look these over every morning or evening just as a reminder.

Bella looks so silly - I love silly dog pictures. The dish liquid bubble gave me a smile.

thailandchani said...

Great quotes!

Peace,

~Chani

Mary C said...

Thanks to Andy Rooney, and to you, Mary, for posting it. Great "pearls" of wisdom and a reminder of what life has taught us. Thanks for sharing.

Jayne said...

AMEN Mary... I have seen that piece before, but love to read it again occasionally. Hugs and smiles to you!

dguzman said...

Oh my gosh, I was about to post a caption about the exact same thing that Susan posted! That's exactly what she l-l-looks like! Sweet Bella!

kate said...

Just who is trying to sneak into my garden? says Bella.

I loved the wisdom spoken by Andy Rooney ...

Dorothy said...

Andy Rooney..one of my favorites!
These words, and his sage advice ~~~ a keeper!
Again Mary, wonderful photos..and another inspiring post!

Chrissie said...

Great advice and great cloud pics, Mary. Your pic of Bella peeping with one eye open reminded me of children playing hide and seek '4, 3 ,2, 1, coming ready or not' :-)

Q said...

Dear Mary,
Your cloud photos are lovely So glad you have clouds. Now for rain.
Rooney is good. It would be so interesting to have a life list of things we learned.
Watching soap bubbles is REAL science!
Doggies are special creatures and should be paid attention to at all times! Yours are so funny!
Sherry

Cathy said...

Mary - I'm so behind on my blogging, but I'm so glad I found this. The Andy Rooney quotes are precious and reflect a lifetime of wisdom.

Your pictures are gorgeous. The clouds and sunbursts are Wow! Of course the Bella pix is the one that melted my heart. Thanks :0)

Anonymous said...

Mary, so wonderful that your neighbor sent you this and also glad you shared it with us also! I love your puppy photo with the heat! LOL