Saturday, June 09, 2007

I can see again

The "car" post yesterday was a lot of fun but those photos were just horrible! I was determined to carry my camera with me today. A fast and furious storm blew through early last evening and dumped a little under one inch of rain on us in thirty minutes. Doesn’t matter. It’s still dry and very hot, as in "August". We’re twelve degrees above the normal.



100_5002

I sat on the front sidewalk and visited the bees. The sun was scorching the back of my neck and the sweat was dripping down the sides of my face but I was having a great time for as long as I could stand it! I always sweat very well and might have lost a pound today.




100_4996

A butterfly stopped by. I haven’t noticed butterflies for a week.



100_5001

They are much easier to photograph than bees or birds, at any angle!



100_4984

I wondered if they visited the Spiderwort I planted last week. These are very young plants and I hope they do well on the northwest side of the house. Blue flowers are the best. I’m always drawn to them at the nurseries.




100_4989

There’s a patch of raspberries that surrounds the bird feeder station. It’s a large patch – about ten by ten feet, at least. I don’t know why I didn’t notice it last year! Perhaps because I wasn’t looking? The thorns tore me up as I leaned into them for a photo.




100_4980

We heard a tree frog pump up the volume and Michael asked, “What’s that loud noise on the front porch?” Susan said, “If I could get close enough, I swear I would kiss one.” Well, Susan, I was close enough, but bending over to kiss it didn’t occur to me…

About the birds -

Things haven’t changed. The safflower is getting devoured by all, including those it was supposed to deter. Even the hummingbirds sample the grapes and cantaloupe I offer. All of them are hot and hungry. I see them drink and bathe in the pond but I never have the camera ready, plus it requires a lot of sneakiness on my part to get a view.




100_4993

She’s back. Not the Barn Swallow (damn!). This House Finch is far more wary of me than the swallows were but I think she’s relaxing a bit. I hope she has success in the hand-made nest.



100_5009

I am so glad I made Chloe & Bella stay inside before I headed out back to do a few things. The heat is too much for them in the middle of the day. But here’s the real reason I’m glad they were watching me through the door. A baby Mockingbird left the nest too early. It was quite a storm last night with lots of wind. “What are you doing, little thing?”



100_5020

“You are obviously not ready to fly yet but your little legs are speedy. I need to be watching out for you as you are too close to the pond!”




100_5017

Heartbreaking... “I hear your mother. You are causing her to worry. Please do what she says and toddle over there under that evergreen.”



100_5019

Oh, I felt her pain and heard her threats loud and clear. Did she mistrust me? Yes, but I think she knows me, too. I didn’t want to cause her further anxiety, so I slowly moved away, went inside and closed the door.

Later: I checked inside the pond skimmer and all is well. I still worry.

27 comments:

possumlady said...

I love blue flowers too. I think they have a coolng effect on me. Oh, the poor little baby. I'm just like you, I'd be worrying all the time. I just discovered a juvenile almost all white pigeon hanging around the yard. I've named him Pedro. He looks kind of lost and he has been eyeing the seed under my feeders. I do try to shoo him away because of all the neighborhood cats but he doesn't seem that afraid. Guess he just doesn't know better yet. Am sending protective vibes out to your little mocker that he/she stays safe.

dmmgmfm said...

Such beautiful photos, Mary. I hope your little Mockingbird is alright.

Hugs,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

I know I am repeating myself, but your photos are just stunning!!

LauraHinNJ said...

Awww, sweet baby mocker! He does look a bit youg, Mary but not by much I don't think.

About your raspberries; I think they only grow greens (and thorns) their first year, then flower and fruit in the second year. We have them coming up everywhere here, but they're mowed over or pulled out always in their first year so we never get fruit. The farm behind our house grows them and blackberries and I count the days until they're harvested and for sale. Love 'em!

That blue flower is gorgeous - is it some type of salvia do you know?

KGMom said...

So you are back to being happy--with your lovely photos.
I agree having one's own photos is most satisfying, but sometimes we need to use the stockpile from the Internet.
Isn't it interesting how agitated parent birds get when their young ones are out of the nest. I fully sympathize--'cause I feel the same way myself.

Alyssa said...

Mary, Really pretty pictures - the close ups of the bee and butterflies are amazing. Poor little bird - I hope he will be able to survive out of the nest so soon. Maybe if the mother hides him away amoung some shrubs or something like that he'll be safe. We've seen that here so it can happen.

A few years ago I found a baby pigeon at work and he had fallen out of his nest. I brought him home and put him in a birdcage with food and water. After a few weeks he was fully fledged and ready to fly. He was mean most of the time. I got up on the roof of a small shed we had and put the cage up there and opened the door. He went out but was afraid and went back in. I tried it the next day and he flew away forever. It made me feel good.

I hope you get some rain and cooler weather. It's just too early for that kind of weather. Stay cool.

Alyssa

Susan Gets Native said...

You did exactly the right thing, Mary. If the adults are around, they will continue to feed the young one until he can fly. And then he will follow them around for weeks, begging and generally causing them (and everyone around) migraines.
I love the photos you post. You are good at it.

LostRoses said...

I'm glad there's someone else who doesn't notice something as obvious as a 10x10 foot raspberry patch. Now I don't feel so bad for not noticing I had honeysuckle vines and chokecherry bushes.

I like your spiderwort (love the blue) and share your concern about the baby birds fledging all over the place!

Jayne said...

Oh. How. Sweet! Love the little mocker and your flower/bee/butterfly shots are awesome Mary. Have a beautiful day ahead. :c)

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Ah, Mary, your pics are the best. And you're right--your photos are a hundred times more interesting than the rogue car photos from yesterday.
I hate the heat and can't imagine sitting in the sun to let the sweat pour down my face. God bless air conditioning on days like that!
Weather here is around 20 deg. C. so lovely for the moment. If it never went above that I'd be happy.

NatureWoman said...

Wow Mary, your photos are awesome! Poor little birdie - I hope it survives.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos! After my heartbreaking experience with a mockingbird nest this year, I've seen similar stories from all over the place--of young mockingbirds being found after having fallen from the nest too early. I do hope the little bird makes it through to adulthood.

The Quacks of Life said...

lovely photos.

fingers xed for the Mocker

Cathy said...

You and I share a serious malady which increases with age (at least in my case). It's the "mother hen syndrome."

When I see vulnerable creatures or kids (or the painters on step-ladders as a storm front approaches) I just have to fight going into over-drive. I know just how you felt about that baby Mocker. PROTECT!!!

Your garden is so pretty. Obviously nature's creature think so, too :0)

Anonymous said...

I just love all your birds (and baby) photos, your American Lady photo's and that blue flower is stunning! BRAVO work!

Chrissie said...

What a wonderful post, Mary. Love your pics and hope your baby Hummingbird is ok :-)

Susie said...

That baby mockingbird is so endearing. I hope he made it back to his Mama!!
Loved seeing all your photos, you have a true gift.
xo

sonia a. mascaro said...

What a wonderful photos, Mary! Love specially these birds's photos! I hope that this adorable bird be well!

Have a great Sunday!

Unknown said...

Wow -- great shots, Mary. That poor Mama Mocker -- she looks so upset! You rock!

RuthieJ said...

I have a spiderwort, but it's white. Your blue one is so much more gorgeous. Those were great pictures and a great post of what's going on in your yard. Thanks Mary!

Ruth said...

Taking a break from pictures was the right thing to do. You came back better than ever. Lovely pictures and post!
Ruth

Dorothy said...

Mary, blue flowers have always been my favorite! Great close-ups of the bee too.
Poor little baby mocker...I hope he'll be OK. I'm shaking my rain stick up here and telling it to send a lot of rain your way!! Hope it is working. xox

Q said...

Dear Mary,
I am just beginning to make a list of blue flowers for a garden I want to create next year. Blue spiderwort went on the list! Wow it is breathtaking!
My Butterfly book calls the butterfly you have a Painted Lady.
I had one come in today.
Baby Mockingbird is so sweet! I bet when he grows up he will chase Starlings.
It is too hot at your house!
Not enough rain either. Glad you did get some. Some is better than none!
Sherry

Mary C said...

Hi Mary - loved your photos - those close-up shots are fantastic! What's the word on the baby mockingbird? Too bad you couldn't pick it up and put it back in its nest. I sure hope you don't have any cats hanging around. :) I guess Bella and Chloe have to stay clear of that part of the yard, too?

Knitters Notebook said...

Wonderful pictures! The birds are so cute!

Renee

Mary said...

Renee, thanks for stopping by!

kate said...

The butterflies and bees on the blue flower are a lovely sight and I had to smile when I saw the nest you had made. It is adorable especially with a little head sticking out of it!!