Monday, June 04, 2007

Until things clear up....

There are no birds, bunnies, bugs, flowers, lizards, or fish in this post. Ok, just a little bird. I need to hurry.



100_4845

Arriving for re-fueling…



100_4850

Ahhhh…. Slurp. I haven’t had time to stand in the bathtub for the male. I’ll get on it later.


I usually take about 40 photos a day, on the average. Today, I took only 5 and thankfully, they're OK.

Life is caving in all around me. When you are away from home for nine hours a day, it can be rough sometimes. Actually, it sucks most of the time. At 6:30 this morning my hair dryer burned up half-way through my blow-dry. My nose piece fell off my eyeglasses and that tiny little screw spiraled towards the drain in my bathroom sink but my sticky finger caught it. Office crap is dreadful. I’d rather be potting flowers in a nursery on my hands and knees. I have four loads of laundry in progress. My Hydrangeas look pitiful because the one-half inch of rain we saw over the weekend didn’t do squat! My Beta fish of two years is going to die and I can’t seem to bring myself to get it to the vet. Both Chloe and Bella need their distemper shots and I keep forgetting to make the appointment. I stood outside and hand-watered for an hour this evening so I didn’t have time to plant my new Zinnias that need to be in the ground! The hummers needed fresh nectar. The pond fish had their mouths open wide. The dogs want to play with me. There's a spilled cup of safflower seed in the sunroom. Is this a mixed-up mess? Yep.

100_4840


Gina and Billy settled on their new house today so this evening I helped Gina pack my SUV with boxes to deliver to her house since Billy had to leave for Virginia. Mr. Biggins raced to my car because he thought he was going to Grandma’s house. Isn't he good lookin'? They have two weeks to get out of their apartment. That’s a good thing!

To make matters worse, my TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) has been inflamed since yesterday. Stress takes a toll on our bodies in different ways. I get lock-jaw. LOL! Some people suffer stress with headaches, backaches, or neck aches. I suffer stress in my face. I have a clicking jaw (I can hear it but no one else can) and it gets aggravated when tension causes me to grind my teeth and clench my jaw. So, now I can’t chew solids. I’m talking like my jaw is wired shut. How nice. It’s only painful when I want to open my mouth and chow down on a hard pretzel which is a no go. I’ll manage it and should be fine in a day or two. My saving grace is that Michael is away tonight and I didn’t need to WATCH him eat dinner.

So I’m thinking, something’s got to give. It will be my time on the computer, most likely. Isn’t it a crime that we (mostly women) give up the pleasures in life that relax us in order to keep our lives in order for us and everyone else? This is kind of stupid, but I really need to get a handle on things around here. It might take one day or five. I can’t predict.

100_4879

While I’m writing this, two sweet girls are begging me for attention. Bella reached for the rawhide first (surprise).


100_4855


Until I can see the light clearly and wrap my mouth around a roast beef and cheese sandwich on a Kaiser roll, I’ll try my best to continue this. Blogging. My form of total relaxation.


31 comments:

possumlady said...

Oh Mary, I too suffer from TMJ. It can really be a nightmare. My pain radiates from side to side and from the upper to lower jaw. Take care of yourself. Don't make yourself crazy trying to do everything for everyone.

Also, ice packs really help me. Along with naproxen.

Feel better!

LauraHinNJ said...

Deep breaths, Mary!

Take a break and relax that jaw!

Be well while you're away.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Oh Mary, I feel for you. I've had TMJ problems off and on for years too. Hang in there, rest that jaw and things will fall into place. (easy for me to say right?!)

KGMom said...

Thankfully, your shutter finger isn't locked up--love the hummer photos. (Here's a question--why are the great big SUVs & the littlest birds called Hummers? Hmmmm!)
You do sound stressed out . . .but, lucky you, your daughter will be nearby!

Susan Gets Native said...

I've got TMJ, too. I wake up some mornings with my jaw so tight, it's more natural-feeling to keep it that way, instead of opening my mouth.

My answer to having too much to do? Do less. My priorities aren't the same as yours, I'm sure, but I tend to focus on what's important to me:
1. The girls
2. Geoff
3. The pets
4. The yard
5. RAPTOR
........
37. The laundry
38. The house-cleaning

I guess I need to put myself in there somewhere....

We all have stuff. It's just up to us to put it into manageable piles.
HUG to you, Mary.

Unknown said...

Buuuuuuuummer! I hope you feel better soon!

I have to say that your hummer pictures are world-class! Wow!

Q said...

Dear Mary,
Mother Nature could do her part and send a bit more rain! Darn it!
I have been following your "no rain" and had such hope.
Work does get in the way of life but they NEED you, who would look after those darling blue birds or take the time to walk and see all the beautiful birds on campus?
So sorry to hear you have TMJ.
I wish you yummy, good for you soft food..is there such a thing besides Dove minatures? I know they are packed with calcium!
Sweet Hummers to the rescue. They and your doggies will help.
Until life settles down know I am sending all sorts of deep and relaxing thoughts your way.
Sleep well, relax, soak in the tub. The male hummer will be there tomorrow or the next day.
It may be pedicure time, a treat day for Mary?
Sherry

Alyssa said...

Hi Mary, Mondays really do suck! And to have all those crummy things happening at one time. Ugh - that would get anyone bummed. If things start to pile up on me I do a couple of the really crappy jobs and then I feel better. Possibly your husband could help too? I know being gone from home l0 to ll hours a day doesn't give you much time for anything. And who wants to do house work during those precious "off" hours??? Not me.

Play with the girls for a while, toss in some fish food, call the vet quick, throw a little rug over the spilled bird seed and put some ice on your jaw. Maybe have a couple glasses of wine and blog away! There is a great possibility that tomorrow will be wonderful.

You know, a chocolate malt, very thick, sucked through a straw would work wonders too.

Feel better soon and I loved the hummingbird and the sweet pups (Mr. Biggins included). They HAVE to make you smile!!

The Quacks of Life said...

may one ask what sort of Hummer?

oh love the cloud picture. very atmospheric

Jayne said...

(((((((Mary)))))))

Mary said...

Hi Pete, it's a female Ruby-Throated. The adult males have a bright crimson neck. I enjoyed the photos from your trip on Sunday!

RuthieJ said...

Oh Mary, I feel so bad for you. Thanks for taking time out to blog for us (I hope that made you feel a little bit better?)
Dr Ruth prescribes 10 minutes of petting and cuddling with those sweet little pooches. Repeat as needed.
Do what you can 1 thing at a time (but I know how hard it is to get everything done after work).

Ruth said...

You do everything 150% Mary! Forty pictures a day! Wow! You can get an oral appliance from a dentist that helps reduce clenching and grinding of your teeth. Take care!
Ruth

Dorothy said...

Hi Mary,

My prescription for you is to follow all the wonderful advice your friends have offered ...and one more from me.....Call in sick! You need some downtime just for you. Trust me, I know.
Feel better soon!!!
((((((((((((((HUGS MARY)))))))))))

Mary said...

All,

I hate to whine but it was one of those days and I really wanted a fat sandwich. Today I am so much better! Thanks for listening. I like Dorothy's idea to call in sick. Hmmmmm...?

Susie said...

Hi Mary,
I'm still playing catchup and I hope by the time you read this you're feeling 100% better!!
Your hummingbird at the feeder pic is wonderful (as are all your photos)
Take care,
xo

Cathy said...

Oh Mary - I'm sending you a tender hug. I know that TMJ thing. Yes - it's the GD stress. Reading your buddie's comments - it's so gratifying to know there's all that caring and wisdom out there.

(I just read that you're feeling better - I am so relieved! And I'll bet you are too:0)

More pup pictures, please. They help my TMJ.

Mark said...

But apart from that you have had a nice day.....


Cheers Mark

NatureWoman said...

Mary, I hope you feel better soon, and I understand about things being out of control. {{{Hugs}}}, and I wish I could give you a boatload of free time to help you!

Larry said...

Sometimes we have to experience stress in order to appreciate when life is good to us.-or at least that's what I keep telling myself.\-hang in there.

Anonymous said...

O my goodness! I had something like TMJ many, many years ago! I didn't have it as bad as you have it but found switching my pillow made a major difference. Sounds like you need a good day or two off from work and just relax, enjoy the birds!

dmmgmfm said...

Hugs, Mary. I hope things settle down for you soon.

BirdingMom said...

Thank God you have your gardens and your birds and your dogs to come home to after a 9-hour day.
I don't know what I would do without my property, my dog, my family and my birds - my day is 10 or more hours including my commute and you're right, it sucks!

Elaine Cougler Author said...

Mary, let your fingers do the walking and relax that tmj. My friend gets this as well and it's not very pleasant.
Sounds like that job thing needs thinking about. Look after yourself!

Anonymous said...

Mary, I found my way to your blog from possumlady. I, too, am a transplanted Marylander living in NC. I admire your photos of birds so much. How do you get such beautiful close ups?

Mary said...

Cat59, glad to meet you! Let me know where in Maryland you lived and where you are in NC. E-mail me. How do I get close-ups? With a zoom lens and I stalk them in slow motion :o)

thailandchani said...

There is nothing on this planet like "office life" to completely suck the spirit out of us. You deserve kudos for being able to tolerate it at all! You're a better person than me! LOL

Being away from home that long each day, too. Couldn't do it.


Peace,

~Chani

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't figure out how to find your email address. I spent my teens and early 20s in Riva, MD (normally, I would say "outside of Annapolis" but I saw in one of your posts that you've been to Riva!). During my later 20s and 30s, I lived in Montgomery County--mostly Bethesda. My husband and I now live in Raleigh, brought here by a job opporunity for him. So, that's my story.

Mary said...

Cat59 - I lived north and south of Baltimore all my life. My husband worked near Bethesda. My e-mail is maryferr@carolina.rr.oom. Let me know how you like Raleigh. We've been in Charlotte for almost two years and I don't miss the blizzards! Will you start a blog?

Kylee Baumle said...

It's my goal to get a decent picture of a hummingbird by summer's end.

Sorry about your TMJ problems! I'm a dental hygienist and so many people suffer from this to varying degrees. I think mainly it's our hectic lifestyles. It's hard not to be busy...

Mary said...

Hi Kylee, thanks for the visit! I'll be stopping by your "little acre" soon :o)