Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Living Like You're Dying

Last night. Alone and free again, to blast the Bose during Delilah’s romantic evening spot on Lite 102.9 FM, free to eat popcorn and a banana for dinner, and to guzzle a few bottles of water needed to fend off dehydration in this ridiculous heat. And, a nice, chilly glass of white wine. Maybe three. I held a roll of paper towels above my head and danced to funky beats with Chloe and Bella in the kitchen, and oh, how they dance with me. I had forgotten how Elton John moves me when I hear, “The One” and how I cry when I hear Tim McGraw,

An' he said: "I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,

I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."
An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,
"To live like you were dyin'."

The lyrics give me chills. Funny to hear them last night... A few hours earlier, my husband wore racing gear and had the chance to drive a race car 150+ mph on the NASCAR speedway bank nearby. He declined to drive and went for a ride as a passenger instead. I’m glad because I don’t think he’s a very good everyday driver. (My opinion, of course :o). His adventure was followed by an elaborate golf outing today at Pinehurst Course #2, caddy included. What a great gift he was given by a generous company.

If I had that same opportunity, I would have slipped through the window of the enormously powered vehicle with ease, rumbled that idling engine loud enough to feel the painful rush of adrenaline course through my extremities, let the clutch out slowly, and lay a long patch of smoking rubber at the start because I love speed. I really do. But - I’m kidding myself. I wouldn’t. But, maybe if I were dying I would… Would you? With emergency crews standing by?


Here I am, grasshopper blogging again without a secure backlog of posts. So, I’ll look back a week and reflect on my love-hate relationship with summer.

The season takes away cool breezes, rain, birds, easy breathing, but gives good things in return.


100_8077

I look away.


100_7926
Again.

100_8101
Have you seen aggressive Mourning Doves? They’re here.


Then I look around and smile at a Luna Moth and Swallowtail.

100_8169

100_7873

For hummingbirds from sunrise to sunset, I'm happy.

100_8086

100_8085

100_8152

100_8176

100_8179


25 comments:

ST said...

You should be!
Nice blog you have there.

thailandchani said...

Wow.. yes... :)

Corey said...

Luna Moth . . at your house?? Well, at least I dont' have any grackles!

BTW, I would have laid down rubber and had the driving instructor screaming for his life!

KGMom said...

Love the close-up on the hummer!
The Tim McGraw-- live like you were dyin'--is especially touching considering his dad, Tug McGraw, died so young. Things like that make us sit up and take notice.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Oh, my God Mary- You are the best hummer photographer in the blogland!! Yuo have set the bar VERY high.

I would have driven. Don't get many chances for a thrill like that and boy, do I love to drive fast.

I'm not a big risk taker but the last several months have taught me to not put off trying or doing.

Crayons said...

Wow, these are exciting photos. The hummingbirds are beautiful, just magical. Whenever I visit your blog, it feels like I'm seeing the world for the first time.

Unknown said...

I would love to see a Luna moth someday. I think my sister and I came close one night. But don't know for sure. Love those hummingbird photos. Lot better than mine that I just posted.

You asked about Monarchs. yes I have a lot everyday now. Plus my yard has brought in several other butterflies.
I will be putting together a slide show of the butterflies soon.

Try and stay cool Mary.

NCmountainwoman said...

Mary, you are the greatest "grasshopper" blogger around. You can't imagine how much I laughed at visions of your dancing with the Lickers. Great hummingbird photos.

I'm sorry that other than the hummers, you are feeding the dregs of the bird world. But then, you do have a big heart.

Debbie said...

Mary, I love your grasshopper posts...so free to just go where you mind does.

I would like to have tried the race car. I love speed and have gone 100m/hr before in a sporty Mazda RX7. Brian and I sold that car, we figured one of us would die in it if we didn't! What a treat for your hubby and for you to have a nice evening home by yourself.

Your hummer pictures are stunning.

Here in the northeast, summer means different things and I am loving it, short as it will be.

JeanMac said...

Sounds great. Sorry it's so hot - here, too, Mary. It's 32 degrees as we see evening fall.

beckie said...

That's our Mary! Dancing and singing along, taking wonderful pictures and enjoying life. Good to see you in high spirits. 5 years ago, I would have driven, but now would settle for the thrill of being a passenger. Funny as we get older, we are more cautious, or is it we just have less energy?

LauraHinNJ said...

You're livin' the life, I think, Mary.

(Glad for you!)

Hugs,
Laura

Cheryl said...

Wonderful Mary.....hummers and swallowtails, pure joy for me just to see them on your post....and the lookaways too!!

Mr P is going to the next grandprix in Valencia....he is a speed merchant without doubt.....me no thanks I would rather walk a garden and just be quiet......but that is what makes life interesting....we are all so different....

My mother always says....live each day as though it is your last.....I do try most of the time, but it is not that simple is it.....

I am glad you are happy Mary.....

Anonymous said...

WOW Look at that portrait of the hummer!!

dguzman said...

DEFINITELY I would've driven. And I'm laughing my head off at the thought of you laying rubber on that track. I'll race ya!

Cool view of the Luna!

Donna said...

Your hummingbird photos are fabulous, Mary! Of course, all of your other ones are too.

My hubby did the Nascar ride once ~ Me? No, I don't think I would. I'm just a fraidy cat. I'm always thinking about what could happen.

Dancing and singing, I think that's great, and with Bella and Chloe, wonderful!

Heidi said...

I am so envious of your hummingbird pics! So clear! So detailed! So close!!! Ours are a bit shyer, no matter how often I hang out near the feeders ever so still and blending in with the house.

And to answer your question... YES, by all means, yes, I would take that opportunity and drive like the wind! It's a life-long (at least since i was 14 or so) dream to get in a race car and burn rubber.

Q said...

Dear Mary,
Hummm...I think in a way I do live as if I am dying. At least I am very grateful for each minute and each critter I get to see. I do not do fast cars unless I absolutely have to..than look out, Katy bar the doors... here I come!
Butterflies and Hummingbirds make summer wonderful. I have not seen a Luna moth in many years. Dream about them...
Stay cool and keep dancing with the girls.
Sherry

BJ said...

I love coming here! You always make me smile. My vision of you and the licker sister dancing just about did me in! Would love to have seen that!

Your pictures are just beautiful! How in the world do you get hummingbird pictures like that? Very impressive. I have a long ways to go....especially since I don't have any hummingbirds where I am!(ha,ha)

Would love to see a luna moth...have never seen one of those either....very interesting though.

And driving that car? Oh lordy! I loved reading that you would have driven it and laid some rubber! In my younger days I may, I may.....maybe not have driven it. If I could be guaranteed that I would have been safe...yeah...I probably would have. I am no risk taker in this older age. I don't like bleeding or getting hurt! I'm a wuss!

Anonymous said...

Wow, great photography.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Those are fabulous pictures of the hummers, Mary!
I would be neither driver nor passenger in a race car. I have never been a risk taker nor a thrill seeker. That is most definitely not my cup of tea.

The Quacks of Life said...

and you want a new camera? cries!!

oh

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways,
Chocolate eclair in one hand, Beer in the other, body thoroughly used up,
Totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!!!"

Kathie Brown said...

Nice shots of the hummers! That upside down insect made me say to myself, "What the H*** is that!" You never cease to surprise me!

pennjos said...

Oh, tell your husband that he missed a chance of a lifetime racing that car himself!
My husband gave me the gift of Jeff Gordan racing school for my 44th birthday this year, and it was a total rush! I had to have a crash course in driving a clutch, but I did it! My max speed was a meer 135mph. Who knows, maybe some day I'll get the chance to go back to Lowe's Motor Speedway and try it again.
By the way, I love your photos! I am a photography buff as well, and ran across your blog while blog searching.

Rose said...

Such gorgeous hummingbird photos! I was so excited to actually get a photo of one last week, but ohmigosh they look like stick drawings compared to your Rembrandts!
I love that Tim McGraw song, but I think taking the time to enjoy the hummers and dancing with the "girls" is living, too.