Thursday, August 21, 2008

About Johnson

Before I tell Johnson’s story, I must ask…

Have you ever locked yourself out of your house at 6:05 a.m., wearing a flimsy summer nightgown and a bright pink summer robe? In your bare feet? Before your morning shower? With your hair straight up in spots? Have you walked around the outside of your house in the dark, wishing your cell phone was in your pocket…looking inside the widows, wondering if you’ll ever be rescued, because, of course, there’s no door key hidden outside anywhere… Have you ever asked your dogs to unlock the damned door but watched them only look at you through the window with curious eyes, ears erect, heads cocked, and wondering why you aren’t coming inside? They were watching Good Morning America while I was watching for signs of life in the neighborhood. Have you introduced yourself to a neighbor for the first time at 6:30 a.m., looking like a bag lady? I wasn’t pretty. He gave me his cell phone for an hour while he showered. I couldn’t remember any phone numbers, as they were stored away on my cell phone – inside the house. At 8:00 a.m., another neighbor heard me call her from my porch… Embarrassed, I met her on my front lawn and used her Blackberry to call my husband’s office. And finally, at 9:15 a.m., Michael unlocked the door. Earlier, I washed my face in the garage laundry tub, shuddering at the thought of possibly leaving my robe inside the house, and realized that without someone else’s cell phone, I would spend the day napping in the back seat of my car. And I cried for a minute.

So, after a shower, off to work I went, already feeling like it was bedtime. And, no I did not have my camera with me for those three hours of sunrise and morning glory. And, no, I have not experimented with the new camera yet. The upcoming photos are raw.

Yesterday,


2008_01020010

Johnson took her final, official POPAT test. Click here for a little background. Before the test began, she was very tense and nervous. Denise, LaTrease, and I sang the Rocky theme song to calm her down.

2008_01020008

Her training Sergeant brought his new class of police cadets to witness a POPAT - a test they will need to pass in December.



2008_01020023

Johnson was strong as the new cadets looked on.



2008_01020021

I wasn’t worried at all. I had confidence in her.



2008_01020028

The new cadets looked worried and wondered if they will ever be strong enough to endure...



2008_01020016
At the finish, Johnson shaved several seconds off her diagnostic time and the hooting, hollering and high-fiving began. She passed the final with plenty of spare time!

The new cadets were dismissed and our party continued.

2008_01020038
Johnson asked for a hug or a smile from her devoted Sergeant but Sgt. Moore truly preferred to maintain his normal, stern composure.


2008_01020039

With some coaxing, he broke down and gave a little smile. After all, it was a celebration - for both of them.

2008_01020040

Johnson, aka Nikki Parker is so much fun. She’ll be an outstanding police officer.



2008_01020036

Here, she’s looking toward the future, I think.

I'm looking forward to seeing her in uniform.

What a woman. Her children are so proud.

27 comments:

Debbie said...

Woohoo, congratulations to Johnson! Whan an accomplishment.

beckie said...

I held my breath, again, waiting for the final words. "She passed!" Wonderful story and such great cheerleaders. Oh Mary, I had to smile at the thought of you outside -I tried not to, really. I giess the only advice I can offer is to hide a key outside and make a list of phone numbers to keep in the garage. Did the girls enjoy Good Morning America?

possumlady said...

Wow! What an inspiration Johnson is!! And I loved the photo of the cadets nervously clutching their hands watching her. Very powerful. Does Johnson know she has a whole fan club of bloggers?

Oh what a morning you had! Yes, I would have cried too. You do need to leave a key or two with neighbors. I have three neighbors that have keys to my house just to hedge my bets (is that the correct expression?)

thailandchani said...

Wonderful story! She looks so happy! I'll bet she'll be an excellent police officer, too!

Cheryl said...

Well done Johnson.....so very well done......

Mary I have never locked myself out but it is one of my fears......your lovely story has made my morning.....you are so very funny......and three cheers for Michael.....

Jayne said...

Yay for Johnson!!!! Just goes to show what a little determination will do!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh Mary, I can't imagine being locked out for such a long time. I have locked myself out but someone, besides the dog, was inside. A lesson learned. ha...

I can imagine that the cadets are quite an inspiration to be around. Way to go Johnson!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

YAHOO Officer Johnson!!! I'm so happy for her and proud of her accomplishments. (waaay beyond my abilities!) I hope you show her your blog so she knows how we feel about her.

Ruth said...

Inspiration and laughter!
You are very funny even when describing not-so-funny at the time events.

KGMom said...

Wow--now I know how lucky we are to have a garage door opened with a key pad--no need for hidden house keys etc.
No cell phone? No camera? Only dogs as witnesses? Oh Mary. But thank goodness you are sharing enough to WRITE about it! OK--house elves who lock you out are forever expunged.
Now, to Johnson--you go girl! Never did that expression seem more appropriate. Only, it should be--you go, WOMAN.
I do love the photo of Johnson and Training Seargant with the sheepish looks. Perfect.

Balisha said...

Hi Mary,
Isn't it the darndest thing...we don't know phone numbers anymore? I was at a new Docs, and had to give a couple of numbers for my file. Couldn't think of them and my phone was at home. I said, "I'll have to let you know!"
Loved your stories today.

NCmountainwoman said...

Hooray for Johnson!!!

I was in stitches reading the first part of the blog. I can imagine the Lickers looking out at you. What a hoot!

However, I quickly sobered up while reading of Johnson's courage. What a great and inspiring story. It's equal to any of the stories about the athletes in the Olympics, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for Johnson's story! It's such a wonderful uplifting tale.

Dog_geek said...

Way to go, Johnson! All your hard work paid off - what a great feeling that must be! Mary - I'm glad you stopped by my blog. I remember coming across yours a while back and reading about Johnson, and now I get the happy ending to the story. Yay!

Anonymous said...

So happy for Johnson!! You are a fantastic storyteller Mary!

Angie

Q said...

Dear Mary,
I have locked myself out a few times. Never fun.
I am so proud of Johnson...
so proud...
She reminds each of us to never give up on a dream.
Sherry

NatureWoman said...

If I were in trouble I would like someone like Johnson to save me!! She's awesome, and she'll be a great police officer.

OMG, sorry about the being locked out of your home. That just totally sucks.

JeanMac said...

You go Johnson! thanks for keeping us posted - and that mean old man is a softy deep inside - I think.

RuthieJ said...

OK Mary, so after work today you had a duplicate key made and you've hidden it in a good spot now (like one of those fake dog turds) right?

Thanks for the update on Johnson. She's an inspiration for anyone trying to achieve a difficult goal (and hopefully for the other cadets).

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Congratulations to Johnson! She did it!

What a "Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day", Mary. My neighbor across the street locked herself in her garage one freezing snowy morning in her nightgown. It was a brand new neighborhood with only a few houses completed at the time. For the life of me I can't remember how she said she got out of that predicament. I've always been concerned that I would lock myself out.

Johnson(Niki Parker) said...

Hello, Ms Mary and blog friends

Yes, it’s me Johnson (Niki Parker)

Thank you so much for your support . It has and will keep me confident in the reason why I know I was born to be a law enforcement officer.
I’m one of millions around the world who is dedicated to this chosen profession. We train hard physically and mentally to develop and enhance our skill and knowledge. We believe in the public trust that is bestowed upon us to enforce the laws courteously and appropriately. Making sure that your families is safe from crimes and that our fellow police officers get to go homes safely to their families, is one of many reasons for wanting to become a law enforcement officer. So on behalf of all law enforcement officers I thank you for the wonderful comments and infallible support.
Sincerely, M. Johnson (Niki Parker)

I will keep you posted as often as I can. Studying for state exam now. Woohoo!

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Go Johnson! Go Johnson!!
We believe in you and thank you for your hard work in preparation for becoming a police oficer. We need good officers, female and male. I told my daughter about you.

Mary said...

Hey Johnson,

What did ya think of Sgt. Moore's sour puss face in the photos?

LOLOLOL!

Miss Mary

Wendy said...

Your locked out of the house sounds like a "menopause moment"! Not fun!!

Julie Zickefoose said...

J'adore Johnson, j'adore Moore, J'adore yer pitchers.

Julie Zickefoose said...

Oh, what's a door lock?

Kathie Brown said...

Mary, you have lived one of my greatest fears! Oh my goodness! You have my sympathies! I couldn't recall my husband's phone number if my life depended on it!