Saturday, December 26, 2009

Little Children for Christmas

Rushing, rushing, make a list, take a breath.


DSCF2611

Get it done! Shopping, decorating, gift wrapping, cooking, and cleaning. I could do without the shopping but I do enjoy giving and watching every facial expression with each bow that gets untied.


DSCF2592


DSCF2616

This is the fourth Christmas I have shown pictures of my trees here on this poor, neglected blog. I apologize to you, dear reader, for the reason that my trees have not changed much in four years.


DSCF2603

Every year at this time, late on Christmas night, I feel a bit disappointed. The wrapping paper and gift bag frenzy is complete, gifts have been exchanged, and our blood sugar levels are out of control after a dinner too large. I’m admitting, also, that I’m glad it’s over but wish it didn’t end so quickly.

My daughter and son-in-love are our grown up kids and while we love watching their childlike excitement, they are not little anymore. I’d like to invite myself to a home with little children next Christmas. It’s been many years since I have seen joy and surprise in a toddler’s face on Christmas morning.

As I write this, I’m annoyed with Chloe and Bella as they paw at me for attention. I’m rarely able to sit here and write in peace, as they make their presence known on my thigh with overgrown nails, begging for a game of tuggie or ball, or a good head rub. Their eyes speak "Do you want a kiss? Take this ball and I'll kiss you. Snort.”


DSCF1845

Sweet Bella had so much action on Christmas Day she collapsed before noon.


DSCF2526

Her toys crumble under the pressure and lay scattered in every room for us to trip over. There can never be too many toys.

DSCF2633

Chloe, Christmas 1997, age: one year
Chloe is not into toys anymore. She was once the Christmas Boston Terrorist - the girl who celebrated Christmas so hard all her life that she was secured behind gates, away from trees and gifts, during her first years. To say she was enthusiastic is an understatement because she was absolutely hazardous, not only around the holidays, but every day. On Christmases past, she’s pooped out a total of at least a dozen glass ornaments with ease and destroyed several dozen more.

All of that is part of her legacy.

Now, she’s the sleepy infant in the family.

DSCF2575

Just hold me on your lap for a while. Is there some cheese in that dish over there?

DSCF2578

Is it getting loud in here? Do I hear music and people?

I’m thinking of a nap now. But I smell cheese.

DSCF2581

Just hold me on your lap, Daddy, and I would like to taste some cheese. Please put a cube of Monterrey Jack directly on my tongue. Thank you. I would do it myself, if I could.

I wanna rest my heavy head. Is my Mother here?

DSCF2583

DSCF2588
I’m here, Chloe.

Super-charged Bella passed out in her chair, contentedly passing gas, surrounded by her toys.

DSCF2622


DSCF2619
I’m in lovin’ my new Ellie Phant. Fanks, Santa. (Deep sigh, snore)

Michael has a new head cover.

Oh, Chloe! Look! If you were green, you’d have a twin!

DSCF2625

What is that, Mother? Don’t laugh at me. I know you are laughing at me. Whatever it is, I don't care because I will bite its nose off. Who is Yoda?

So, I guess I do have little kids.

Very funny furry ones ;-)

18 comments:

NatureWoman said...

I love your furry little children, Mary!! They are the best.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Chloe always looks so worried. She has the face I'd always want to console. I hope you had a happy Christmas May. Time to relax.

Murr Brewster said...

You want a Christmas with kids, and I want a Christmas that looks like yours! Good job. I'm moving in. I'll pop in sometime after Thanksgiving next year, and will be gone by New Year.

I recognize the let-down. I also remember the first Christmas I felt let down. They've all been better after that one. It's hard to transition out of childhood.

Carol Michel said...

Those are two very spoiled little "children"... but it sure seems like they had another great Christmas, with presents under those beautiful trees!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Mary!

KGMom said...

Merry Christmas, Mary.
Oh, I know what you mean about missing the faces of small children at Christmas.
Our pets are stand-ins for now, right?

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Looks like Bella and Chloe had a good Christmas.

I look forward to Christmas with grandchildren one day. My niece came and stayed with us for 11 days with her husband and one year old. It was so much fun having a baby in the house.

A New England Life said...

Your babies are so darling. Every day with them is a gift : )

Love your trees Mary! We just switched ours up for the first time in several years. It aint cheap ya know!

Give the girls a kiss for me!

Jayne said...

Your trees are always beautiful to see Mary, and your "children" are a sight to behold. I swear I think they talk. ;c)

BJ said...

Merry Christmas Mary! Your babies are so adorable. I always enjoy reading you.....you always make me laugh. The pictures are so cute!

Wishing you a happy, healthy and love filled New Year! God bless!

Ruth said...

Glad you had a nice Christmas day. Your place is always decorated so beautifully.

Rose said...

Yes, you do have little ones, and Christmas is all about them as well. Our Sophie was excited about the grandchildren ripping open their presents, that I had to give her her stocking first. She loved her new toys, but loved littlest Grandson's new hockey set even better--we had to rescue the puck several times from her jaws:)

Didn't mean to rant on about my "little one," but I can so relate to you, Mary. I'm so glad that Chloe survived all those ornaments she ate long ago, because I've seen a few disappear around here, too.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and hugs to dear Chloe and Bella.

Anonymous said...

The puppy picture is so precious! Love the last one with the green guy. (Sorry, I know he has a name!)

Your tree is lovely. Why mess with perfection?!

jeanmac said...

Aw, Mary, a sweet post.Much love to you, Michael and the "children".

Dawn Fine said...

hee hee..very sweet post..and lovely Christmas Decor!
What precious pups..and I can see you dont spoil them one bit!

RuthieJ said...

Your trees are beautiful Mare. I never get tired of seeing them (esp. since my tree is so pathetic!)
I love Chloe and Bella too and I'm sure they appreciate being the central part of your holiday as the "furry children!"

dugfresh said...

i love the trees, and, since i've only been with your blog for less than a year, it's not getting old at all.

your dog...er...children part really had me laughing. "put a piece of cheese directly on my tongue" hahaha! classic!

i hope your Christmas was magical and relaxing and full of love and joy.

Janet Creamer Martin said...

Hahaha-very cute post. And yes,I agree, pets are very much like kids

Cindie Ulreich said...

I love your tall, skinny tree in the second photo. I want one like that, because I don't have much room in my teeny house. Every year, I scour the after Christmas sales, but so far, no luck.