Sunday, November 16, 2008

Through Chloe's Eyes

She ran into the back of my legs the other day. I was taken aback. It was rather dark outside and she didn’t see me on the sidewalk. Not once has she slammed into anything - walls, screens, or glass doors, even as a puppy, because she’s sharp as a tack in every way. She’s still sharp. Lightweight, bouncy, agile, quick. Her eyesight intimidates. No cataracts, just Lenticular Sclerosis.

dscf2876

I had to lead her away from the pond waterfall this week.

Lately, she’ll skip by me and sit in the middle of the floor looking for her mother. “Here I am, Chlo. Mommy’s here!”

Red, green, and blue squeaky balls are easier to chase on beige carpet. She is embarrassed to lose the whites and yellows.

dscf2823

Gina and I laugh and grimace at Chloe often and when we discussed possible lens implants or doggie spectacles on the phone the other day, we cackled. You see, Chloe is odd in a funny way…


dscf2825

Her ears are abnormally large and her eyes are penetrating and googly. We wondered how she’d look wearing doggie spectacles and hooted! On Friday night I was tired and silly enough to bring out my paints and brushes. Michael heard me giggling in the kitchen…


dscf3140

He takes things too seriously sometimes. “Mare, awww…you’re making fun of her while she sits behind you. She’s getting old and you’re making fun of her!”

“Oh, lighten up, Michael. We’ve been laughing at her for twelve and a half years. Why stop now?”

The little vixen still streaks through the house with my undergarments or potholders dangling from her mouth. And we laugh.

He sleeps lighter than I and caters to every sound she makes overnight from under our covers. At her first yawn, stretch, or whine, he rolls out of bed and invites her for a drink of water. At 3am, I feel the bed bounce and hear, “Come on, Chloe, wanna go pee-pee? OK, girly girls, let’s go.” Lights on. Bella wants to join the party, too. Truth is, neither of them needs attention. Hearing his invitation, I open one eye, pull the covers over my ear, and mumble, “Oh, it’s 3am, let’s have a party. Leave me out of it. Let me sleep.”

When I’m waiting for them to return to bed, I feel compassionate.

When she’s unable to find her way, I’ll lead her.

When she’s unable to walk, I’ll carry her.

When she’s ill, I’ll sleep cozily on the floor with her.

When she weeps, I’ll weep. And I’ll hold her.

Until then, my little vision-challenged vixen still likes to wiggle and giggle. Me, too.

100_1683

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Chloe, those glasses are the making of you!

A New England Life said...

12 1/2 years old? How is Chloe's health besides her eyes Mary? It sound like she is still pretty spry. I do believe they actually make prescription glasses for dogs! Though I'm not sure.

I know that love and devotion you feel. I feel it too. Pet's are our children and we are honored to be able to have them by our sides every day we can.

My next door neighbors dog, Sadie, is 13 and having knee surgery this week. Most people wouldn't have bothered at that age, but Sadie is still very active and her parents adore her. Hopefully she will be able to go on walks with her mom and I before the Winter is over.

My best to sweet Chloe.

Sharon

KGMom said...

Aww, Mary--too sweet. Actually, knowing how caring Michael is must be comforting all around. Just as we take good care of our aging pets, we know we will take care of aging spouses--or be taken care of by them!
Very touching that he didn't want you to make fun of Chloe getting older.

Kim said...

What a sweet dog. I know how tough it can be to have to watch your furbabies age. It makes you realize how precious they are and to cherish each moment with them.

I LOVE the glasses. HA!

NatureWoman said...

ROFL over the glasses, Mary!!! Poor Chloe, though, with her eyes.

Carol Michel said...

Poor thing, at least she has you to be her 'seeing eye person'!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Angie said...

The glasses are adorable---maybe Mommy should get her some REAL red ones! :) And yes, we will do whatever we need to do for our 'kids'...and keep on hoping they'll stay here with us just a bit longer...Your Michael is a special man to haul out of bed at 3 a.m. with those 'kids' of yours!! ;)

beckie said...

Bless her heart and yours. I'm sure Chloe is much more comfortable with you laughing at her antics than she would be if you started treating her differently. Dogs sense so much and would know something was wrong. The glasses are hilarious! In the end a sense of humor gets us through many difficult times.

I love your pictures of her. I'm sure she would approve.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh Mary, this is such a touching post. Your dear Chloe. She is such a lucky girl to have a Mommy and Daddy that love her so much. She has a great fan base here wishing her well as long as she lives.

Susan Gets Native said...

I'm right with you, Mary. I'd get my dogs glasses if they made them.
God love your heart, Mary dear. And a big kiss right in between Chloe's eyes.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a cutie Chloe is!!! My cocker (Duchess) lived 'til she was about 14 yrs. I thought I would die when I lost her. Enjoy Chloe as long as she is alive! I know you will! She's a keeper!

LauraHinNJ said...

Oh how sweet... you must really love her!

(I think we tease the ones we love the most.)

BJ said...

Mary - I'm having a good chuckle while sitting on my bed posting this at 6:05 a.m. What a way to start the day!!!!

We love our four legged little furbabies, don't we? Our family has always had a deep love of the animals or critters that came to our home. Now I'm down to one cat!

Love the glasses on Chloe! And love how sweet your hubby is with his girl's. Precious!

Jayne said...

Awwww.... she's such a sweet girl, and of course you'll be there for her.

Unknown said...

Ah Mary, Chloe is so sweet. I can't help but sit here giggling thinking how she would look with glasses.

How sweet of Michael to get up in the middle of the night with them.

Dog_geek said...

Awww, Chloe doesn't have much of a shnozz for those glasses to rest on! One of the best things about dogs is that they don't waste much effort feeling sorry for themselves. I'm sure Chloe is too busy enjoying life to worry about whether she needs glasses or not.

Anonymous said...

Mary, I know exactly how you feel about dear Chloe. Sam, our lab will be turning 18 this December and even though she has a difficult time getting around right now, she's still as sweet and happy-go-lucky as always. She's been part of our family for so long, it will not be the same when she goes. Love the glasses!

Tina said...

That picture of her with those drawn upon glasses is a hoot! But I would be the first to get them for my dog if they made such things...getting old is tough on man and beast... thank goodness she has you both to watch out for her! Nice post...fun to read..and so cute pics!

Mary said...

Sandy, Sam is 18???? My friend in Maryland thought she had the oldest living lab. She was 16 when she died about a year ago. I need to tell her about Sam.

possumlady said...

Oh I think you should try all different colors of glasses for Chloe! Might I suggest PINK?

I've heard of dogs with trouble seeing start using their dog sibling as their eyes, walking close to them at all times. I wonder if that will happen with Bella?

Mary said...

Christine,

Bella leads the way, shows Chloe wear the ball landed, and will sometimes give Chloe her own ball and fetch the one Chloe lost. She generally watches out for her, esp. after I asked Bella to go check on Chloe, please :o) It's amazing to watch their roles change.

Mary

Balisha said...

Your Cloe is the Elton John of puppies.LOL I know how much you enjoy her...love her to pieces.

Cheryl said...

Oh dear I think I have found my soulmate......does Michael want to come live with me.....we could share getting up for Chloe etc etc......

I know you love her to Mary......you would suit Mr P.....he would laugh to......I would be saying "don't be mean, you will be old some day."

We are all different it makes life fun and interesting.......give that Chloe a big hug.......

Jess Riley said...

You're such a good dog mom!!!

Jess Riley said...

You're such a good dog mom!!!

Corey said...

She's a sweetheart.

RuthieJ said...

Oh, poor old girl. I know what you're going through Mary, give Chloe a hug and kiss for me.

JeanMac said...

Oh, Mary.Touching.

Rose said...

Your husband sounds like a real sweetie:) Mine likes to act all macho, but most late evenings you will find him watching a football game or old Western with a cat on his lap.

Dear Chloe--I wonder if they do make prescription glasses for dogs?

said...

Bless her heart. She certainly has good peeps taking care of her and appreciating her for the treasure that she is. :o)

Wendy said...

Awww - loved her in specs! Cute pics. Does hubby really get up at 3:00 a.m.??? He's a really dedicated "daddy".

jane augenstein said...

What a sweet girl Chloe is and what a good mom and dad she has!
Love the glasses, Chloe is a trend setter of the dog world!!

Annie in Austin said...

The glasses look kind of cute on Chloe, don't they Mary? What was the name of that talk show host who wore red glasses - Sally something?
If you've always teased her and suddenly started treating her carefully and politely she'd be sure that something was wrong. Better keep teasing your little old lady!
It's cool to read how Bella helps Chloe get around.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose