Sunday, April 20, 2008

Yep. I've been fixating.

Main Entry:
fix·a·tion

Date:
14th century
: the act, process, or result of fixing, fixating, or becoming fixated: as a: a persistent concentration of libidinal energies upon objects characteristic of psychosexual stages of development preceding the genital stage b: stereotyped behavior (as in response to frustration)
c: an obsessive or unhealthy preoccupation or attachment



Michael away at Myrtle Beach for a company golf outing, me at home enjoying every minute of my impromptu whims of coming, going, blaring Bose, popcorn for dinner…and, alas, I saw the first female hummingbird on Saturday morning while I had the cell phone to my ear talking to lovely daughter, who, by the way, is concerned that the birds aren’t eating from her new feeder. Makes me hoot!

I planted annuals in the rain, sowed some seeds in two new beds of wildflowers for hummingbirds and butterflies, all the while, looking for the flying green gems. My eyes have been fixated on those feeders all weekend! I want a photograph, soooo badly. The male flies in and out within seconds and I can hear my camera grinding away. For sixteen months, my camera has been grinding away, every day. Parts wear out and I’m becoming a tad nervous about it.

Not frequently, I see a hummingbird appear for my nectar and a taste of Hibiscus, then quickly zooms away - to somewhere else. Perhaps to taste the nectar, somewhere else. Hmmmmpf.

I set my alarm last night to camp out on the deck at 6:45 a.m. this morning. Still yawning, I sat there with camera, coat around my shoulders, L and R slippers, and Karen Scott sweatpants (1991),

100_5018


100_5019

and fixated on two of the feeders


100_5020

wishing the fog would lift soon. It was only 50 degrees.


After about twenty minutes of no action, I woke up. And thought I must be out of my ever-loving mind! Husband is probably gorging on an elaborate breakfast at a goft resort while I’m sitting in the cold fog listening to my rumbling stomach! How absurd is that? Screw the hummingbirds! Let their nectar turn rancid because I…just…don’t…care…anymore!

An hour later, after I showered, I sat on the ground near the pond with Chloe and Bella. There’s more than hummingbirds here to see…


100_5023


100_5035
The morning sun won the battle with fog and its light danced so beautifully.


100_5033

100_5027

I can only dream of a flying green gem on this little feeder.


100_4971
Oh, my. Only two feet from where I sat... Hello!


100_5022
Calla lilies are protected by rock because Chloe likes to sun in this spot.



100_5071

Bees and butterflies will soon swarm the Salvia.


100_5078

100_5076

100_5006

My first Chipping Sparrow of spring made me smile...oh, so tiny and sweet.

Are you tired of seeing reptiles here? If so, sorry...

100_4782

I’m not.

So now, ahem, I believe it’s time to re-fill the nectar feeders and make new. Darn. I can’t help myself. I'm just a friggin' bird slave.

35 comments:

JeanMac said...

I can only marvel about your setting an alarm to catch your babies - such devotion. Maybe one day, they will all arrive at once, keeping Mary busy filling feeders.

Chrissie said...

There must be something about slippers at the moment :-) I love to see your reptiles, we have never seen one in our garden. Was it a harmless grass snake?

Cheryl said...

You are without a doubt a bird slave Mary. Never tired of your photos whatever they are, snakes birds etc. Love em all.
We had for the first time in weeks sunshine and warm temperatures. A few of my mason bees came out of the units. Have been worried about them so it was a joy to see.

Get an early night Mary, don't let this birding wear you out.

Susan Gets Native said...

They've got you whipped, Mare.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh Mary, I would never tire of seeing your reptile pictures. They just remind me that you have such a healthy garden. I love the lizard. I can even see a little blue on its throat. All the bird pictures are great too. It looks like you had a marvelous weekend.

NatureWoman said...

Bird whipped, that's what you are, and nothing wrong with that! I always love looking at your photos. Hmmm, do I have your weather here in NY? Sorry, but I'll take it as long as it wants to be hot like this!

Annie in Austin said...

Your reptiles look good, Mary - and so does the goldfinch. But I like the photo of your slippered feet in repose the best - you deserve some relaxation on the weekend!

The little anoles are marching the fence tops here and we have goldfinches, too.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Anonymous said...

You know how to live - the hubby's away and it's a wild morning with the birds. Seriously, who better to be enslaved to?

Anonymous said...

Shame on those hummers for teasing you!! I have only seen one at my feeder in the last couple of days.

Angie

KGMom said...

Mary--so glad to see you still have your L and R slippers. Wouldn't want you to get confused.

entoto said...

Bring on the reptiles, they rock! Your yard is sooo lovely. You will get your huumers soon, very soon.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

LOL It's better to be fixated, than to be fixin' to do, darlin'. ;-) The little green emeralds are there. You just have to stop blinking! These are some seriously good pictures, Mary! I enjoyed this post so much! I always do.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I don't do snakes Mary! No way!

The bird slave thing I understand perfectly well though.

beckie said...

Mary, isn't it amazing what we will go to trying to get 'the' picture?! Sounds like you had a pretty good weekend doing what ever pleased you, and that is so great once in a while. Your pics are wonderful and show such a springy green garden that is healthy and full of life. Thanks for sharing.

Mel said...

Love the 'L' and 'R', LOL
Your pond is so beautiful, so much to see and enjoy!
The colours are vibrant and full of life, I just love it!

Marvin said...

Yup, the hummers (and their other winged cohorts) have you wrapped around their little beaks. :-)

Alyssa said...

No bird could get me up that early! I think I'd stay up all night instead!! Can't have too many reptiles - I wish we had some up here. You did get some beautiful, moody foggy pictures while laying there.

Your salvia is just beautiful! Love the color.

Speaking of color - your last post was also great. I think your haircolor and style are so neat. You must give everyone the impression of a little blonde pixie. It looks great!

I did laugh about hiding your chin though. I tried that and took a bunch of pictures with my hand at my chin. My sister saw them and howled and said it looked like someone was choking me!

I sometimes fantasize about having just a "little" chin tuck and tightening. Nothing drastic ..... Knock off about 10 years ....

Jayne said...

Oh, they'll come Mary, and there will be so many of them, you won't know which feeder to focus on first! They'll come because the feel the love and care you provide with so many beautiful feeders. Can't wait to see all your photos.

Anonymous said...

Mary, Sometimes when I sit on my deck in the warm sunshine watching birds and dragonflies and such I think, "This must be what heaven is like!" At least my version of it. It's the simple things in life that make it so wonderful. My nature "treat" this weekend was a snapping turtle that spent Sunday morning in my backyard!

Unknown said...

Mary I cannot tell how many times I sat on my patio watching and waiting for hummingbirds. It's a fixation I think we will never get over. So sit back and enjoy. ;) I do so enjoy all your photos.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh Mary, your shots are FABULOUS!
Uh, but that snake....maybe a little to close?? I would have been scared out of my mind...I definitely don't do snakes!!
But the lizard is great and of course, I LOVE LOVE LOVE all of your birds!!
And I can't think of a better way to spend time.....relaxing in slippers watching nature!

Anonymous said...

Yup, it's plain to see you are a slave to the birdies.

I love that snake picture!

And Pink Slippers during the Pink Moon!

Owlman said...

They say wvery picture tells a story and yours surely did - well done. Once the Chippies are back you know you're in business. I've had a zillion Chippies this year
http://owlbox.blogspot.com/2008/04/chipping-good-spring.html

Kathie Brown said...

Mary, you are in good company as the rest of us bird slaves applaud your efforts! Keep up the good work, and thanks for including the reptile pictures. I, for one, thourouhly enjoy them!

Sherry said...

Mary, I never get tired of your reptile or any other photos. I love the shot of the salvia too in this post. And the snake.. oh my, two feet is -too- close!

Todd Camplin said...

Thought I would chime in and say, good pictures!

Q said...

Dear Mary,
I love seeing you sitting in your chair waiting for the Hummers!
I also am at the beak and call of the birds and the bzzzz of the bees and always looking for the butterflies and the dragonflies.
It is an honor to be with the day as she opens her arms. Fog is wonderful for the face as is dew!
Happy Full Pink Moon.
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Mary, when my Hummingbirds arrive . . . I spend many hours of the day taking care of them! As always I love your photos!

Shelley said...

Wonderful series of photos - really enjoyed your blog!
Shell

Rose said...

I can't think of a better way to spend the early morning than sitting outside and waiting for a glimpse of the hummingbirds.
However, you may need to provide more explanation of your pictures: I stared at your slippers, thinking Ralph Lauren?? Not till I got halfway through the comments did I get it:)

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Mary--You're not alone--I'm on the other side of the mountains (are there mountains between us?)waiting for just one hummer to fly by. (but enjoying imagining your stake out)
I like the little feeder with the glass spout--I must get one! I've never ground-mounted for them--will try this year!
Have another cup o'joe and hang in there!

Anonymous said...

They'll come, yes, they'll come!
I love that irridescent blue you've captured on the lizard. I remember seeing one with the blue tinge before and couldn't believe my eyes. Very cool.

Robin (Bumblebee) said...

Aren't you glad you have the luxury of getting up to try and catch the hummingbirds? Golf is boring anyway.

(Love those R and L slippers!)

Robin at Bumblebee

Dorothy said...

Ohhh Mary.....you are so funny going outside in the early morning fog to catch some birds.
Now that snake.......NO THANKS!
I'm scared of them! ;o)

TR Ryan said...

M - You've got the coolest hummingbird feeders known to mankind - that will surely bring them in.

I've been playing the waiting game too - but its a new house and new town for me so have no idea if they will come or if they've been ignored here previously for too many years.

I understand the need to tattoo your slippers L & R - I've had pigeon feet many a times wearing those slippers.

There's nothing like that first hour of light in the morning -- its magical and with the fog. Its my favorite time of day.