Tuesday, November 03, 2009

I take it back.

DSCF0567

There’s an avian congregation here. They meet every day at the pond before dinnertime and I don’t dare step outside to join them. When one Mourning Dove freaks out, the rest follow suit.

I’ve regularly made fun of Mourning Doves here for over three years.

Mourning Doves are not the sharpest tools in the shed and are terrible homebuilders and housekeepers with insatiable appetites but

DSCF9279

what’s not to like about a Mourning Dove?


DSCF9282

Does it really matter if they are pigeon-toed and can’t prance like a Killdeer or Robin? In the air, they’re like small, gray, high-speed jets. I like that about them and the way their tiny, dopey, skulls bob when they waddle on their way to supper.

DSCF9624

They love, or seem to…

My best bird moments were far more exciting than watching Mourning Doves do what they do; however, the little knuckleheads have given me endless hours of entertainment.

DSCF9651

It’s not fair that I’ve mocked them and sometimes complained about the space they fill out back. I take it back.

Because I’ll admit to smiling at a Mourning Dove more often than most other birds… (except for Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds, of course).


DSCF9656

For me, this pose is hilarious.

DSCF9661

They ARE pretty. I’ll never turn my back on them and will always snap away. That is, of course, unless a Pileated Woodpecker is in the area...

20 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

I'm with you Mary, mostly...

;-)

Elizabeth said...

I love mourning doves! They look so serene.

We have a pair that visit the feeder. I named one of them Medusa.

Murr Brewster said...

Your Doves In Love photo reminds me of that New Yorker cartoon--two pigeons, I think--the male scowling, "What, not puffy enough for you?"

nina at Nature Remains. said...

I love them, too, Mary.
There's something so sweet about their face--so kind and trusting.
Or maybe it's their messy housekeeping I identify with!

Appalachian Lady said...

I am warming up the mourning doves too. I used to hate hearing their song--sounded depressing. Last summer, I saw them making a nest--that seemed to help me like them more. Great photos.

Susan Ellis said...

I love their blue eye liner ...and the fact that they blend incredibly well with the trees in my yard -I'll see one in a tree - and then slowly notice about 10 more hiding in plain view.

Anonymous said...

I considered them better heard than seen, but we try to feed them, too.

Never realized that their feathers looked so "shingled." And those eyes...whoa!

Shelly Cox said...

Beautiful images of a sweet little bird. I love the mourning doves. I have so few of them in the yard, maybe two or three a year that their presence is always cause for excitement.

Heather said...

I know what you mean, Mary - they are so beautiful, if not a bit dopey. I like to count them in our trees in the winter. Just when I think I have found them all, I notice another... then another. Even for their size, they are sometimes hard to spot.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I love them too May. They look soft and sound soft.
And they have those little pin-heads...

KGMom said...

I too love them--they are gentle. I love their mournful cooing.
I love their layered feathers. And I love the tenacity of their sitting on hap-hazard nests, waiting for the young'uns to appear.

jason said...

I admit I'm a nut for mourning doves. Gentle little souls. The male's soulful call is too touching (even if I'm just projecting)--and I have to admit I'm always beguiled by the whistling of their wing feathers. Marvelous post, Mary! A great tribute to a common but probably under-appreciated bird.

Mary said...

And you all agree with me. Sad to report a Cooper's Hawk picked off one today and left a pile of soft, gray and brown feathers... I'm glad I didn't see it happen.

Rose said...

Since mourning doves are one of the few birds I can actually identify, I do enjoy watching their antics!

By the way, you look pretty sexy behind the wheel of that new red car:) Wait a minute, should a woman say that to another woman? I just mean, Christy has nothing on you, Mary. Oh well, you know what I mean...

Kim said...

Love your Mourning Dove photos Mary! I happen to like them myself!

RuthieJ said...

Great post Mare! I don't have nearly as many MODOs in the backyard as you do, but I still enjoy watching them. Have you ever seen them do that thing where they raise their wing when another bird they don't like comes close to them. It's like they're saying "back off dude!" That always cracks me up.

Wendy said...

They are gentle birds and I like listening to their soft cooing. Nice pics.

PJ said...

absolutely agree! ...sadly though we had to put a fake snake on the chimney because they loved the shiny exhaust of the gas fireplace insert. The woo-woo's would be amplified and 'graceful' landing every hour sounded like slipping! Love your tribute to them though!

Q said...

The Doves are pretty! I think they are great ground feeders cleaning up spilled seed.
I often find too many Dove feathers in the backyard and know Cooper had a tasty lunch. I just read you also have had too many Dove feathers.
Hope you are enjoying Indian Summer.
Sherry

Kathie Brown said...

While I have mourning doves year round their population seems to explode in winter time when they come here from the north. I know they are somewhat stupid but they are more gentle than the white-winged doves and I like them. Nice bunch of captures here Mary. You can think of me in AZ next time you see one 'cause I'm seeing them outside my window also!