Thursday, January 22, 2009

SNOW STORM and a Meme

dscf4794



On Thursday morning, we had a snow storm. What a thrilling event.

All schools were closed, including mine. I had a snow day!


dscf4840

By daylight, there were a few flurries, wind, and temps in the teens. Our southern birds were in shock, scrambling for food.

dscf4838


dscf4837

Thirsty Goldfinches and Siskins lined up inside the pond. I took all of these photos from behind the bedroom or bathroom window. I’m not accustomed to frigid weather like I used to be, so I stayed inside.


dscf4855

By mid-morning, Moms and kids were in search of a snowy hill. We have wonderful hills that are perfect for sledding. I felt so badly for them as I remembered the fun I had with my own Flexible Flyer up north. They probably made snow angels in the grass.


dscf4864

By noon, the sun was bright and our white dusting disappeared. Isn’t she pretty in this photo taken from inside my bedroom? And I thought the windows were filthy.

I’m still hoping for a real snowfall. A white blanket! A winter wonderland!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I recently saw this meme on Jayne’s and Lynne’s blog so I thought I’d participate. It's been a long time since I played a meme game.

1. Do you like blue cheese? It’s OK.

2. Have you ever smoked? Yes, until January 12, 2009 :o)
3. Do you own a gun? No. My parents used to own a hand gun, though.
4. What flavor Kool Aid is your favorite? Cherry
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? Yes.
6. What do you think of hot dogs? Grilled or boiled with French’s mustard and raw onions on a warm bun.
7. Favorite Christmas movie? I have a few faves but National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is in the top 3.
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? OJ or water.
9. Can you do push-ups? Only one. Push up – fall flat.
10. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? I don’t have a favorite piece.
11. Favorite hobby? Photography/Writing/Blogging
12. Do you have A.D.D? Definitely not.
13. Do you wear glasses/contacts? Eyeglasses w/bifocal lenses OR contacts with reading glasses.
14. Middle name? Marcel :o/
15. Name thoughts at this moment? I ate too much for dinner! Darn. I'm cold.
16. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink? Water, Lipton Green Tea, and wine.
17. Current worry? I worry about everything. Lately, jobs and the economy.
18. Current hate right now? Darkness before 6pm and a certain Excel spreadsheet waiting for me at the office.
19. Favorite place to be? Sitting by the pond.

20. How did you bring in the New Year? Watching some decent fireworks from my front porch.
21. Where would you like to go? Somewhere I’ve never been.
22. Name three people who will complete this? No clue.
23. Do you own slippers? Yes, they have name tags: Left and Right
24. What color shirt are you wearing? Red sweatshirt.
25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? Never tried them but I like Egyptian Cotton.
26. Can you whistle? Yes – not like a guy – like a bird.
27. Favorite Color? I like ALL COLORS but faves are a toss up between reds, yellows, greens.
28. What songs do you sing in the shower? I don’t sing in the shower – too busy thinking about business & the day ahead.
29. Would you be a pirate? Arrr...NO. I’m no animal.
30. Favorite Girl's Name? Don’t have a favorite.
31. Favorite boy's name? Don’t have a favorite.
32. What's in your pocket right now? Cell phone and a rubber band.
33. Last thing that made you laugh? Something Gina said this evening.
34. What vehicle do you drive? Honda Accord blah
35. Worst injury you've ever had? An ankle broken on both sides.
36. Do you love where you live? Yes.
37. How many TVs do you have in your house? Four.

I'll bet you thought it would never end.

34 comments:

Kim said...

Great photos Mary. I can't get over how great your zoom feature is. The birds look so close to you.

The last cardinal picture is lovely. Great Meme, I am an Egyptian Cotton lover myself.

Dawn Fine said...

Wow..snow..
looks so beautiful! Love the Cardinal and white throated sparrow in the snow! Is that a doggie butt going down the stairs?

So happy to see you are smoke free! Awesum!

TR Ryan said...

Marcel - Oh I love it! Can you imagine how much laughter you have provided most of the northern and western parts of the United States tonight by giving us Charlotte's interpretation of a snow storm!!! I thought Oklahoma was bad but that is fantastic. I remember it once snowed 52 inches over a weekend in Santa Fe and finally they called it a snow storm. Glad you had a snow day!!!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I'm so glad you got a day off work. Those unexpected days to yourself are a treasure.

What did the Licker Sisters think of the snow? I could just see them outside snuffling around in the snow. I think the snow intensifies the smells for them.

Love reading the meme.

NatureWoman said...

You and your camera is fantastic, Mary. You keep taking the best photos. And snow, wow!! Cool!
I love learning more about you, Mary!

Wendy said...

Yippeeee - a snow day! On snow days I used to bake cookies with the kids. And send them out to make snow forts or snow men with their friends.
Loved your pics, so clear and pretty.

Mary said...

Dawn, yes, that's Bella's wide butt on her way outdoors at 5:30 a.m.

Lisa, both C & B enjoy snow. Bella barrels through it and Chloe has a few minutes of fun before she's begging for inside :o) Neither were interested in this pathetic storm. Sigh.

Heidi said...

A friend of mine SW of Raleigh had 4-6 inches... at least her pics sure looked like it.

Love your middle name :) I hope your last name didn't also used to start with an "M"!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great post Mary.. Glad you got a little snow.. I'm sure the kids all enjoyed it. Loved your meme answers also. I just did this one this week also..

No 23--I laughed at your answer.. We ALL need Left and Right written on our slippers... Duh!!!

Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth said...

What are those children going to sled on, lol! We have had 190 cm of snow this winter (6 feet) and not one single snow day. Is that fair? ;-)

Unknown said...

Hey Mary! I could never get those kind of photos through my glass. Between being old glass and well cough dirty at the moment. Love the Cardinal and all the fun facts about you. Now we all know a bit more.

Jayne said...

Yes, TR, it's true, we don't "do" snow well here in the South...lolol. :c) Glad you had a snowy day Mary and that your bird friends knew where to come for a snack. Love your meme answers.

Kathi said...

Great post, but where is the snow?

I can't believe I found a city that is worse than Cincinnati when it comes to freaking out about a dusting of snow. ;)

Congrats on another day as a nonsmoker!

~Kathi

Q said...

Dear Mary,
She is very pretty!
My favorite of all the birds...
Glad you had a snow day!
Sherry

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Snow?? Pffft.

Mary Marcel! Did the Sisters call you that?

Tina said...

Well, as usual your photos from INSIDE your house look so much better than mine taken outside..lol! Love the birdies getting a drink at your pond..love that pond! You have me thinking about putting one in my backyard..So glad you and Betsy finally received snow!!..and the opening pic..usually the same view I always see when I leave the house with the doggie! lol!!

Peg Silloway said...

Memes can be fun from time to time - I'm with you on the pushups - ugh. Congratulations on your 11th smoke-free day! And thank you for more wonderful bird pictures - love that lady cardinal. Snow days are such a gift when you're all grown up.

beckie said...

Mary, love the shot of Bella's backside going down the steps! As always, your photos are inspiring and lovely. Everyone needs a snow day once in a while-glad you got at least one this winter.

NCmountainwoman said...

Sounds like you had a great snow day. I just loved the birds. Great shots.

And I loved the meme. It's always nice to learn a little more about our blogger friends.

jason said...

Great shots, Mary, and I laughed heartily when I read the "I thought the windows were filthy" comment! Very funny, and always my fear when taking shots through the windows.

Aren't snow days marvelous?

The Quacks of Life said...

you were off for that ???

my friend OC in Canada would be laughing her head off!!

jane augenstein said...

Good pictures Mary. Our snow is melting today, we have 50 degrees. Last week at this time it was -12; very strange weather.
I have been thinking of going outside to play with the boys but they are sleeping in the sun, so I will leave them to their sunbathing! :-)

Cheryl said...

Hi Mary.....a little snow is so pretty....I love the female cardinal....they are such a soft looking bird.....

Love the meme....it is good to know something about you.....I to love Eygptian cotton sheets, wouldn't have anything else.....don't they feel just great (yes I have got a bit of a thing about bed linen)

Have a great weekend.....

Angie said...

Just look at that cute pup butt and those little paw prints in the snow!! You got more than we did. :/ Awww, Mary, I'm truly lusting over your Cardinals and that gorgeous sparrow(?)!!! I want TREES NOW PLEASE!! :D Loved your meme!! I'm also one of those 'Mary-Wannabes' that loves learning more about you! ;D Your photos are most excellent, woman!

A New England Life said...

Wait a minute Mary, are you telling me they cancelled school for that??? lol!!!!! If we have 6 inches my husband and I are still hopeful the kids will have school. I guess it's just different in the south ; ) At least you were able to stay home and take some wonderful pictures!

Cool meme. I enjoyed reading your answers!

Sharon

RuthieJ said...

Sorry Mary, I know you guys don't have the snow removal equipment, but I'm cracking up here that they closed schools when there's hardly enough snow to cover the grass! (at least you didn't get ice, right?)

Thanks for participating in the meme. I love reading those things!

JeanMac said...

Our snow is piled about 3' high after shoveling - glad you had a snow day - what a treat.

Anonymous said...

You can have some of our snow, Mary. I wonder if some enterprising has ever tried to sell it, come to think of it?
Love your birds, and I am with you on the cotton sheets, they are the best!

Rose said...

Don't you just love snow days? But I'm wondering, judging by the pictures of the yards, just where those sledders are going to find enough snow:)

The cardinals and goldfinches are used to the cold and snow around here, so your friends probably survived just fine.

12 days now--that is great!!

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Mary! We had our storm storm Sunday night. And then it snowed again Monday. About a quarter inch.

Glad you had a snow day. We do need them from time to time. Lisa

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the snow. We actually got a frost out of it: ice formed on my car window. But we set our water and it didn't freeze. I'm sure it would have up in Orlando, but here in Naples we are too far south.

Mary C said...

Mary, I'm so envious of your photography skills. And those were taken from inside the house!? Snow day? Okay - now you and I would remember snow days in Maryland (Baltimore, right?). They didn't close the schools for that small amount. I think it had to be a minimum of 2 inches before there would be closures, didn't it? And even that was kind of wussy. ;o)

Mel said...

Brrrr... cool over there! I'll send you some sunshine!! :)

Why do you have a rubber band in your pocket?? lol (just pictured you using it like a sling shot to throw paper to coleagues, hehe)

Corey said...

Surprised Eddie? I wouldn't be more surprised if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet!