Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas was JUST DUCKY

100_0759

Christmas Eve 2007

No matter how tired I might be, I stay awake very late at night on Christmas Eve and walk around the house. I take photos while everyone else is sound asleep. I’ve done this since Gina was born.


100_0764
Our memory tree stands in the dining room window at the front of the house. It’s loaded with ornaments we all cherish.


100_0768

Michael, Chloe, and Bella were already sleeping on this magical night and the quiet, music to my ears, began to make me yawn while I touched each ornament and remembered. The macaroni bell Gina made in the second grade is probably my favorite.

Our Christmas Eve at Gina and Billy’s house was sweet. Her ham was delicious and her house is decorated so nicely in a Christmas contemporary style. Michael began to seriously wheeze due to his cat allergy, tripped and fell onto his hands and knees right in the middle of a vicious dog fight between Mr. Biggins and Bam-Bam over a Santa plush toy and I’m happy to say that no one was hurt. We all collapsed in laughter afterwards, grateful that Michael was still able to walk and breathe… What a grand time we had!



100_0773
Thanks, Bam-Bam. He had a hankerin' for cardboard.

Christmas was wonderful. Too much food – and I’m still feeling the effects. Gina had the day off today so we met at the mall before 9am. Both of us ran out of steam by noon, looked at each other and said, “Let’s get the H out of here.”


100_0780
Billy, the former Marine, got a helicopter from Michael. What is it with boys and their toys? He had it hovering all around the foyer ceiling and I admit it was pretty cool!


100_0715
On Christmas Eve morning, the sun was rising beautifully in a clear blue sky and I found the Hooded Merganser again. She’s a social duck and shows her free spirit in punk rocker style.



100_0707
Showing off her pretty self.


100_0713
Beautiful.



100_0704
My eye caught another lifer on the far side of the pond. I so wanted to bust a move about it!


100_0724
A Ring-Necked Duck kept his distance and seemed somewhat demure. I can’t see the ring around his neck but the ring on his bill is obvious. Who named this bird?


100_0727
He didn’t follow the others. A very shy duck.


100_0739

A man and his twelve-year-old Schnauzer met me on my way to the car. With wide eyes, he told me about the beaver he has seen at the pond and described it as being the size of a fully-grown Labrador Retriever. Yeah, right! He was probably hitting the egg nog already. I'm glad he enjoys his pond view.

27 comments:

NatureWoman said...

Your Christmas photos are gorgeous, Mary! I love Christmas lights at night.
Congratulations on your new lifer - yay!! Ohhh, I'm glad Michael is okay, I don't like to see anytone fall.

thailandchani said...

At the risk of being repetitive...

Your livingroom is just beautiful! Loved the rest of the pictures, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Must be one of those historic giant beavers! LOL I love your Christmas photos and sounds like something fun to do! I also love you waterfowl photos! Looks like your lighting was perfect for your capture! Bravo!

Bill said...

Just absolutely gorgeous shots, Mary, both in the house and out! The duck shots could make the top shots on Bill of the Birds list!

RuthieJ said...

Hi Mary,
As usual, you have presented us with more wonderful pictures--especially of the ducks on the pond!
Our first dog would open her own presents also (her wrapped box of treats from Grammy).
Look at that tree I'm next to in my picture....don't you think it took a beaver the size of a Labrador Retriever to munch on that tree?? :-D

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Hi Mary, You took great advantage as the sun was just right for pictures. I think like you regarding the naming of the Ring-neck duck. You rarely see that ring.

Love your tree with all the sentimental ornaments on it. Wasn't the moon lovely too?

Susan Gets Native said...

Was anyone filming Michael's spectacular dog-bowling move?
(I'm watching American's Funniest Home Videos)

Glad your Christmas was ducky...and so many bird names make no sense. How often do you see the red belly on a red-bellied woodpecker? Or see a tree sparrow in a tree?

A giant beaver....I could really run with that one. But I will resist.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous Christmas! I'm glad you all had such a wonderful time! I hope your New Year is filled with light and love and . . . birds!

I'll leave the giant beaver alone. :)

Marvin said...

The giraffe bird is cool, but the Hooded Merganser photos are fantistic. Great work, Mary.

Chrissie said...

Beautiful photos, Mary :-) Your decs are lovely, wonderful tree! Really pleased you had such a great time :-)

Jayne said...

Your tree and home are so beautiful Mary! Glad you all had such a wonderful time and that Gina is home this year.

Love the pretty Merganser too!

possumlady said...

Gorgeous photos as always! Sounds like a fun time was had by all! Did you bring your girls to Christmas Eve dinner or did they stay home? I hope you keep your house decorated this week. I can't believe all the people taking things down already. Makes me kind of sad it's all over ;-(

Mary said...

Pam, Bam-Bam tripped Michael trying to get to Mr. Biggins. It was hilarious, once we knew he was OK!

Chani, thank you. We still don't have anything on the windows. Maybe it will be a project in 2008.

Monarch, it was dark and overcast on the previous days. I took advantage of the first sunny morning!

Willy, thank you, but BOTB really gets the perfect shots.

Ruthie, after looking at your photo, I'm curious to see the size of the giant beaver that man was so excited about :o)

Lisa, if the duck would have come closer to the edge of the pond, I might have been able to see the ring.

Susan, LOL! It all happened so fast and I was too stunned to think of my camera :o)

Liza, I'd love to show a photo of the beaver :o)

Marvin, thanks. I really enjoy seeing something new!

Chris, I hope your Christmas was as much fun.

Jayne, I can't tell you how much I enjoy having Gina living close by - after seven years of 500 miles between us.

Possumlady, I noticed people taking their dried up trees to the curb and removing their outside decorations already! Traditionally, we pack everything up on January 1st. I dread it.

dguzman said...

Yay for your second lifer at that pond!

Your home looks beautiful! The cats took their turns at unwrapping/eating a lot of the presents too.

Q said...

Dear Mary,
Thank you for sharing the magical time of Christmas Eve. Your home is lovely. Special memories and times spent with loved ones is the part of Christmas I love the most.
Glad Michael is okay. I bet seeing him take a tumble was a hoot.
Your duck photos are beautiful!
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
I love this little pond near your house. How nice to be able to do some shopping and some birding on the same outing. Mother Nature was very kind to send some lifers for your Christmas viewing.
Being near your daughter is a special gift. Ahhhh...
Enjoy your time off.
Hugs,
Sherry

nina at Nature Remains. said...

I love your "memory tree"!
We do much the same, although, by now, many of the ornaments are barely holding together--little crafts the girls made in Sunday school or elementary school parties, gifts from long ago friends,...isn't Christmas a wonderful reunion with our memories!

(jealous of your ducks--mine fly off as soon as I get anywhere near!)

Larry said...

Nicely decorated tree! I'm looking forward to seeing my first Ring-necked Duck of the winter.-congrats on the lifer!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous tree and decorations, Mary. Somehow, the room manages to be spacious yet cozy. I love the shimmer of the water you captured behind the ducks.

Kerri Farley said...

Lovley post! Glad you had a Great Christmas....Those Ducks are gorgeous! I especially like the punk rocker :)

dmmgmfm said...

Aww, honey, the pics are lovely. You are lovely. Great big New Years hugs to you and yours from me and mine.

Julie Zickefoose said...

Pair of mallards and hoody girl: my favorite of your photos so far. Perfect comes to mind.

So's yer living room. Need a two-kid wrecking crew? I have one here to loan out. I'll never get a perfect living room until they go to college.

kate said...

I liked to see your beautiful tree ... it is wonderful to have decorations that hold good memories.

It sounds as if your Christmas was lovely - good to have Gina and Billy, Mr. Biggins & Bam Bam close by.

More, I'm envious at walking in a light jacket and shoes. No snow there!

Happy New Year!!

JeanMac said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas!

Unknown said...

Mary sounds like you had a wonderful time. Nature and Christmas go together. Beautiful photos and great shots of the waterfowl.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Beautiful Christmas decoration, Mary!

Very nice the last photo with the man and his dog. You live in a beautiful neighborhood! Nice street and lovely house's architecture, too!

Beth said...

Your house looks beautiful! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

Anonymous said...

i love the macaroni bell, i have a corn husk angel my daughter made