Sunday, August 26, 2007

Bloggers for Positive Global Change Award

Dawn at Suburban Wildlife Garden offered me a “Bloggers for Positive Global Change Award”. How do I feel about it? More below.

bpgc_award2


The progressive folks at Climate of Our Future created this award as a way to encourage "blogging with a purpose". Those who receive the award may bestow it upon five other bloggers who they think are helping to “build awareness among their readership in order to create a more sustainable and enlightened future”.

Dawn’s other four candidates in different countries are outstanding naturalists and actively pursue their passions. That’s why I was quite surprised to learn she nominated me because I don’t think I make a difference. I recycle, maintain a small wildlife habitat in my backyard, and that’s about it. No major productions or promoting going on here, for sure.


After giving this award some serious thought, I came to the conclusion that all of us who blog about nature are passionate people with a desire for an environmentally perfect wonderland. Whether we blog about our efforts as educators who reach out into the community on a large scale or whether we blog about our little 10-foot by 10-foot patch of native plants in our tiny wildlife habitats, we are contributing towards global change. We all matter.

Today I’d like to honor five friends who amaze me with their talents and continue to inspire their readers. I wish I could list many more.

Susan Gets Native in southwest Ohio. She is extraordinary. Susan is an education director for a raptor center and lives with daily emphasis on preserving natural resources to save the birds, bugs, and wildlife. I rely on her identification of anything living. There isn’t much she won’t do to sustain wildlife; for example, during a southwestern Ohio snowstorm she ran out of seed for her backyard birds so she rubber-banded a granola bar to the branch of a tree. Her photo of a wren munching away on her offering was priceless. Susan’s huge heart and ingenuity will make you laugh out loud.

Ruth at Nature Knitter in Rochester, Minnesota. She is relatively new at blogging but offers so much. She has a Monarch Butterfly Ranch and just recently tagged her first butterfly! Ruth is busy tending to her sprawling landscape and introduces something new to fellow bloggers every day. Her dedication to birds is appreciated by the many species that surround her. I am beginning to learn that Ruth is also a multi-talented woman. If she ever wanted a part-time job on evenings or weekends, there is a job as an appliance repair technician waiting for her as she is skilled at repairing broken dryers.

Alyssa at My Examined Life in Wisconsin. Alyssa lives on three acres of the most beautiful gardens. She and her husband work constantly on their lovely wildlife habitat. Since knowing Alyssa, I have learned how to can fruits and vegetables and live off the land. Alyssa is passionate about elephants and their freedom. She’s a factory worker with many talents and I enjoy reading her blog because of her passion for nature and her great literary talent.

Ruth at Body, Soul, and Spirit in Ontario, Canada. Ruth brings a wealth of knowledge into the blogosphere. These are only a few of Ruth’s blog topics that concern her and she’ll always add some history behind them: endangered species, human health, eating fresh - eating local, water and air quality, balanced ecosystems, landfills, conservation, and fuel consumption. At the end of the week, she delivers lovely “Friday Flowers”.

Tom at Monarch’s Nature Blog in western New York. I think Tom has the most enjoyable and rewarding job of anyone I know. He is a naturalist, field biologist, and nature photographer at Allegany State Park. His primary interest is in the life and welfare of birds and educates many young naturalists and their families during hands-on banding sessions and field trips. Just recently he photographed a Mudpuppy at ASP. That’s cool! Visiting his daily blog posts enriches me because I learn so much from his vast knowledge and love of nature. I need to add that his photography ROCKS.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Awardees: Do not feel obligated to participate in this meme but if you care to bestow honors, here are the rules according to Climate of Our Future.

It’s easy to participate in this meme. At minimum, you can proudly display the BPGC badge (it’s available in two varieties: Transparent GIF and JPEG with white background) on your blog and bask in the glow of our collective good will. If you are sharing the kudos, however, please make sure you pass this list of rules to the blogs you are tagging.

1. When you get tagged, write a post with links to up to 5 blogs that you think are trying to change the world in a positive way.

2. In your post, make sure you link back to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme.

3. Leave a comment or message for the bloggers you’re tagging, so they know they’re now part of the meme.

4. Optional: Proudly display the “Bloggers For Positive Global Change” award badge with a link to the post that you write up.


100_7101

Thanks to Dawn and everyone who shares love of outdoor life.

17 comments:

Susan Gets Native said...

It takes some serious wordage to make me cry.

That's all I'm gonna say.

HUG. BIG HUG.

RuthieJ said...

Wow, Mary, I'm honored and humbled to be included in this group. Thank you so much, dear friend. This really means a lot to me (like Susan, I have to go get a Kleenex now...)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mary . . . I am soo honored and you are just too kind! Although, being a guy I am not going to cry!! But, I do have a few kleenex for Susan and Ruthie!! Although my job isn't the best job, I am in the office all day as a secretary! Far from fun but everything you mention is all done in my off hours (making up for the non fun working time). {{{{HUGS}}}}

Alyssa said...

Mary, I'm completely shocked and for a while was at a loss for written words! Thank you so much for the honor. I can see that I share it with some very deserving individuals. I will keep trying to live up to the high standards they all have set. This is a great feeling!!

Jayne said...

I think your choices are just perfect Mary! Congrats to all those honored.

Unknown said...

Congrats Mary!
And now you have given me a few more blogs to check out.
Thanks ;)

sonia a. mascaro said...

Congratulations Mary and to all those honored! I agree with Toni, now I have a few more blogs to check out.

Have a nice week ahead!

Mary said...

Susan, you know what I said is very true :o)

Ruthie, you're so busy you probably haven't noticed how much you are appreciated.

Monarch, you continue to knock our socks off - post after post.

Alyssa, don't be shocked. You do everything with such a positive attitude.

Jayne, I'm glad you agree!

Toni, you'll enjoy them, for sure.

Sonia, thanks. You will enjoy each of them.

possumlady said...

Congrats to Mary and all the others! Mary, I think you are going to need a virtual mantel for all the cyber awards you have received!! And, yes, I'm going to have to check out more blogs!! But today, I must get going to prep for painting my bedroom.

JeanMac said...

Congrats, Mary. You do good work!

dguzman said...

Couldn't go to a better person. Cool, Mary! And thanks for more blog links....

Mary said...

Congratulations and well deserved I look foward so much to reading all you do and looking at your wnderful photos Mary

NatureWoman said...

Congrats Mary! I love your photo!

cat59 said...

Mary, I think it's so neat that you have connected with and learned from so many people through blogging. Some are afraid that technology dehumanizes people, but I think it brings people together who would otherwise never know each other. And, you do deserve the award because anyone who reads your blog knows you care passionately about nature.

Cathy said...

a BIG second to the award recipients. Those were wonderful descriptions of their blogs. I've got a little exploring to do.

And congratulations, to you, Mary - all the sweet floating, flapping, swimming and furry creatures who share your yard and life - are very blessed.

Ruth said...

Thanks Mary. I am late getting to my blog reading as I am so busy cutting up all my local produce. ;-)
I think all the blogs I read are written by people who respect the environment and are doing what they can do to promote the natural world.

Dawn said...

Mary, you definitely deserve the award. You demonstrate how much you love nature and the flora & fauna around you. You set a lovely example which makes the world a better place, IMO.

Looks like you've chosen some really super blogs for the award as well. I'll enjoy checking out their sites.

Cheers!
Dawn